PC Applications forum

Question

disabled Veteran needs help !!

by Ratchet1957 / March 22, 2015 9:39 AM PDT

I need a FREE Windows based Forum !! Is there any freeware out there ??

I just started a tribute webpage to my old ship the USS Vulcan AR-5 a very historical WW2 ship it was a repair ship that turned up all over the Pacific Ocean , She was much like Forrest Gump turning up everywhere always in the background but played a very important role ! In 1978 She made history again by being the very 1st ship to have women onboard forging the way for women to be on all ships today ! I really dont know what I am doing as far as webpage design and bought 2 domains hopefully to run the Forum on one and link them together ! any help would be GREATLY appreciated !

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: disabled Veteran needs help !!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: disabled Veteran needs help !!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Why not do what many do for this?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 22, 2015 9:43 AM PDT

Make a Facebook page for your ship and most of the pictures and stories can go there.

Building your web service and forums can be quite daunting. Why not go with Facebook this round?
Bob

Collapse -
Been there done that !!
by Ratchet1957 / March 23, 2015 4:01 AM PDT

we have one and We have outgrown it and it dont meet our needs anymore , I have been on many forums over the years and for us to become what we need to become we NEED a forum !! But thanks for your reply Happy

Collapse -
There is forum software for free.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 23, 2015 5:10 AM PDT

But what I'm encountering are folk that want it to be without the usual workload or more. To run your own will take some decisions about time invested in learning the areas you need to get it going.

Maybe you have volunteers that can set it up?
Bob

https://www.google.com/#q=phpbb is pretty popular.

Collapse -
I have asked !
by Ratchet1957 / March 23, 2015 6:15 AM PDT

and there seems to be no one with the know how to do what we need done , You must consider that most of these people are up in age with no computer skills other than facebook itself ! i was hoping to find a windows base freeware software for forums , Phhbb sounded good but is Linux based requiring FTP skills and more and I dont know how to do all that !

Collapse -
Re: forum
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 23, 2015 6:41 AM PDT
In reply to: I have asked !

A forum is run on a webserver, not on a PC. So you should find a host for your site that offers php and mysql and lets you do the setup. And yes, getting your programs on that server requires ftp.

But maybe you can find a hosting company that already has it installed, ready for you to begin the setup. https://www.phpbb.com/hosting/ might be a start. However, having the proverbial newhew that is so handy with computers probably will be a big help.

Kees

Collapse -
About FTP.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 23, 2015 6:45 AM PDT
In reply to: I have asked !

I think I use about 5 FTP commands in all and that is over about 2+ decades (FTP is that old!)

A windows based board sounds dangerous. That is, while my bet is phpbb can run on Windows, the security threat there would make it a non starter in my world. Who has time to deal with any of that?
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Ask other veteran webmasters, what they do
by Willy / March 23, 2015 6:58 AM PDT

Goto other veteran based websites and ask their webmasters what they do. However, if you want truly all "free" then that usually is naught as somewhere some $ has to change hands. Otherwise, such a service would be already be well known, IMHO. -----Willy Happy USMC

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?