HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

Disabled Sound

by MousePotato / September 3, 2008 5:59 PM PDT

Recently my desktop has been hacked so that all sound is disabled. And this has continued from my onboard sound card and the PCI sound card that I later installed.

To fix this problem, all I think of is by reinstalling the PCI card and its driver. But there is no other PCI slot on my motherboard that I can change to.

How else can I fix this problem and re-enable one of my sound cards (onboard or PCI card)?

My motherboard is the Gigabyte GA-7VT600 which has the C-Media AC97. And my PCI sound card is a Crystal SoundFusion CS4281.

BTW, my OS is WinXP Pro and it runs on the FAT32 platform.

What would be the easiest method of fixing, re-enabling, or reinstalling either of these sound cards? And I'd also like tips on preventing such a future hack.

-David

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Disabled Sound
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Disabled Sound
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
How was your system hacked?
by Coryphaeus / September 3, 2008 8:32 PM PDT
In reply to: Disabled Sound

Two choices.

Run the motherboard drivers disk to enable the on board sound.

Run the PCI card CD to enable the PCI card sound.

You'll need to go into the BIOS and tell it which sound device to use. Either the integrated peripherals (on board sound), or the PCI slot. Run the driver CD for whichever device was working.

Again, how do you know the system was hacked?

Collapse -
I was guessing
by MousePotato / September 4, 2008 3:18 AM PDT

It's only been my guess because each of these sound cards was working fine until, after a day or two, the volume first was somehow turned up and then turned off.

-David

Collapse -
The FAT32 choice.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 3, 2008 10:17 PM PDT
In reply to: Disabled Sound

While it's not much protection, NTFS did prevent some early hacks. What I do want to note is that if you run any version of Windows you have to arm yourself to the teeth. Antivirus, firewall and don't turn left into oncoming traffic. That is, be safe, no P2P use, no "crackz", etc.
Bob

Collapse -
I wanted easier control
by MousePotato / September 4, 2008 3:20 AM PDT
In reply to: The FAT32 choice.

I only have stuck with FAT32 this time so that I could do anything with DOS. And it seems like NTFS isn't really much more secure than FAT32.

-David

Collapse -
I'll try to convert
by MousePotato / September 13, 2008 5:39 AM PDT

Upon recently trying to install Visual Studio.NET, MS gave me the DOS command for converting to HTML. So I'll upgrade now and if I later want to re-gain access to DOS, I'll might run KillDisk and use the Win98 startup floppy to format to FAT32 for a while before formatting to NTFS during the WinXP Pro setup.

BTW, is there any kind of fdisk command or app that can be run from only the NTFS command prompt?

-David

Collapse -
That changes with the version of OS...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 13, 2008 6:10 AM PDT
In reply to: I'll try to convert
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.