Hi!

I need to disable in a secured way the WIndows Time and Date settings. I
have WinXP Home Ed SP3. That is, a way to prevent a normal user to
change the time and date of the system (make it password protected or
have it very well hidden, for example).

I could hide the clock from the task bar but this is too trivial. I
cannot use the Local Security Policy feature because it is not present
in the Home edition.

By "secured way", I mean a method that cannot be easily bypassed by a 13 years old child.

Any other ideas? Thank you!

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: disable time/date setting Win XP Home edition
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: disable time/date setting Win XP Home edition
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Re: changing date

If it can't be done via the GUI, it can be done from the command prompt. Just use the commands date and time to change them as you want. I don't think that's easily deactivated.

It could well be that "I NEED to disable" and "I NEED to keep using XP Home" can't be combined. Then at least one of these requirements can't be fulfilled.

Kees

- Collapse -
It can be done

I have good news: It is possile to prevent user access to many system settings including time and date in Windows XP Home. For this, one must create a restricted user and protect the Administrator user with a password (quite straight forward from Control Panel.

Unfortunately a restricted user also has restrictions that sometimes affect some programs. For this reason the solution I found is not perfect in my case. With the Professional Edition one can manage the restrictions in greater detail, using the local security policy feature, but not in WinXP Home.

- Collapse -
Answer
I'm going with no.

Here's why. Since one could remove the item you noted, there are too many other ways to set the time that you didn't really fix it.

A 13 year old is far more devious than us.
Bob

- Collapse -
It can be done, but there are some side effects

I found that a restricted user in WinXPHome cannot manage time and date settings (it has no rights), so it would solve the problem.
However, for some reason I have not yet found, the War Game this child is addicted to (and I want to limit his daily dose of absurd violence using Tiemeout from Romaco canada) no longer plays with a restricted user, so I still have the problem.

- Collapse -
Alternative

So this is a very old thread, but I thought I would still put in my idea for the heck of it. You could always have the child use the restricted account, and right click then run the game as the administrator. This way the child cannot reset the time to hack the timeout program, and they can still play the game.

- Collapse -
(NT) Responding To A Four YEAR OLD Thread... Time To Lock

CNET Forums

Forum Info