Question

disable auto dimming

I recently bought a new Samsung UN40ES6100 and so far I am loving it, except the auto dimming feature. It is very annoying, especially in games when things are constantly getting darker and brighter. I know the only way to turn it off is threw the service menu but I cant get into the advanced section. In the service menu I go to advanced and type the code 0000 and instead of unlocking the advanced menu it get 2 unselectable options under it titled picture-2D and picture-3D. can someone please tell me how to get into the advanced section of the service menu?

I know their are some auto dim work around but all of them involve using settings that bother my eyes, I just want to disable auto-dimming and thats it.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: disable auto dimming
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: disable auto dimming
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
Same problem

I have the exact same problem, for instance in sci-fi series/movies when you just see stars and a small ship. I have a samsung UE55ES6535, but other than that, I have the same problem to get into the advanced section to change CE dimming for the standard picture mode. Anyone know how to get into the advanced section of the service menu on either model?

- Collapse -
Answer
Firmware update!

Well, I know this doesn't exactly answer how to turn it off, but it does remove my reason for wanting it off. My problem was that dark scenes in movies were much darker than they were intended, and fluctuated between too dark and extremely dark depending on the average brightness in the current frame. That was especially annoying in sci-fi starfield scenes with a ship approaching, departing or moving around, since it was just on the limit for when that feature would turn on. Then the stars would go from bright to dim, in sync with the ships motions/brightness.

So, I did contact Samsung support. They suggested two things:

1. Disable motion lighting (in advanced picture settings). Didn't do much, although the picture appeared to be somewhat brighter.
2. Firmware update. And this did the trick! It didn't turn off the dimming, but it made the image processing much smarter. Now, with the same media, the same scene/frame looks as it should WITHOUT the need to tune any picture settings! Too bad there isn't a fix list for the firmware, would have been interesting to read it...

So, the thing is that this firmware was just released days ago, so it's not on the network-based update server at the time of writing. But you can download it and install it by copying it to a USB memory.

The download page for my model is here: http://www.samsung.com/se/support/model/UE55ES6535UXXE-downloads

I was on firmware 1023 before, and now the TV says 1025 (download link says 1025.2).

CNET Forums