Mac OS forum

General discussion

disable and limit the extern USB drive connect to Mac

by abcdef9 / March 22, 2011 12:26 PM PDT

I do not want to the external USB drive can connect to MAC.
Or just only allow a size less than 4G usb external drive to connect to Mac other size greate than 4G do not allow .
How can I do it ???
Please advice

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: disable and limit the extern USB drive connect to Mac
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: disable and limit the extern USB drive connect to Mac
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The short answer
by Jimmy Greystone / March 22, 2011 1:08 PM PDT

The short answer is this is not possible. The longer answer is that it would be a significant amount of work, and even then, would be less than 100% effective. Maybe if you were connected to an LDAP server running Mac OS X Server, but probably not even then.

Both Windows and Mac OS X are designed around the idea of making things easy for the user, not necessarily allowing an administrator to lock things down.

Collapse -
disable and limit the extern USB drive connect to Mac
by stan_wh / April 5, 2011 10:24 PM PDT
In reply to: The short answer

Is there any 3rd party software / apps have such control? Like DeviceLock, Lumension, MacAfee, Symatec..... on Window platform?

Collapse -
Possibly
by Jimmy Greystone / April 5, 2011 11:18 PM PDT

Possibly, but Mac OS X is based on Unix, and without getting into great detail, let's just say that it is significantly more challenging to write a program such as this for a device independent OS as opposed to device dependent OS like Windows. Creating a program that will block any and all devices is one thing, but selectively blocking only those exceeding 4GB is a wholly different topic. I'm just not sure it could ever be effectively done on a device independent OS.

The Aqua GUI that most people associate as being Mac OS X, is really just a program running on top of a Unix OS known as Darwin (which is derived from FreeBSD, which ultimately traces its roots back to the original BSD Unix). Darwin doesn't really know or care what is or isn't attached to the computer at any given time, it just serves as a request broker. Some app sends a request to a device that should be at a specific port on the computer, and all the OS does is pass that info along. The device is expected to be able to figure out what to do with it. And if the device sends any info back, the OS just passes it along to the app. The OS pretty much stays out of things.

I'm no programmer, so there may be a better way, but the only method I'm coming up with here is to be perpetually polling all USB, FireWire, and Thunderbolt ports and checking not only for the presence of a device, but then also the capacity of the device. This would create a MASSIVE amount of overhead and really degrade performance of any USB/FireWire/Thunderbolt device. It would also have to run as a root process, or as a user with access to hardware devices, which would make it a huge security risk.

Actually, when I think about it a bit more... There MAY, and I do stress MAY, be a way to tinker with the auto-mounter in OS X. I assume Apple wrote their own, because they were doing auto-mounting of devices long before virtually anyone else in the *nix world. So, if it's a part of the Darwin source repository, you could theoretically hire someone to modify it to suit your needs, as Darwin is open source. But I'm really not familiar with the auto-mounter and whether or not it even has any configuration options. It probably doesn't, but it is at least a potential place to start looking as there's at least a small possibility the functionality you want already exists in the OS if you're willing to dig deep into the Unix layer.

But if you already have the names of some programs that do this for Windows, why have you not simply gone to the respective websites and checked to see if they have a Mac OS X version? Or even typed in the name of the program and "Mac" to Google or whatever search engine you prefer.

Collapse -
By the way. Our dear IT staffer
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 6, 2011 5:03 AM PDT

Who claimed those titles worked was not happy when we let them try them out and then let us try to get around them to get the files out.

Our first method to leak was to ftp the file out.
> IT blocked all FTP ports.
Now we emailed it out.
> IT claims that doesn't count as they track that.
It's still a leak since the horse has left the barn.
We played along and booted the machine from USB and copied it to USB there.
> They disabled the BIOS.
We opened the case and reset the BIOS password and did it again.

At every turn there seems to be a way to get the files out.

Maybe the idea here is these are Personal Computers and not well suited for lock down?
Bob

Collapse -
OSX USB Storage will not mount
by PeterStepien / April 17, 2012 12:32 AM PDT

run in terminal:

Code:
cp /System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext ~/backup/
sudo srm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions
sudo reboot
it will disable USB storage from mounting - will need to be redone after software update.
Tested on 10.6
Quoted from: NIXCRAFT

Collapse -
and how to enable it again ?
by yashslush / February 5, 2014 10:11 AM PST

how to enable it again ?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.