Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

DirectX 9.0c Compatible?

by sha_bang / September 21, 2004 8:42 AM PDT

I'm trying to play a game, but up comes "failed to find any DirectX 9.0c compatible graphics adapters in this system." I went to run dxdiag and it doesn't tell me the manufacturer and so on, so how do I know what I need to download in order for the error to go away?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DirectX 9.0c Compatible?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DirectX 9.0c Compatible?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: DirectX 9.0c Compatible?
by Mark5019 / September 21, 2004 8:55 AM PDT

If you are asking for help to troubleshoot a computer-related problem, please be sure to include all the necessary information (ie: operating system, model number, hardware, software, etc) that will help others identify your problem for a speedy resolution.

my crystal balls on the blink
but is it on board video or not if not open case look at name if built on mother boards man site should have drivers

Collapse -
Re: Info
by sha_bang / September 21, 2004 11:15 AM PDT

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) (2600.xpclnt_qfe.010827-1803)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: TOSHIBA
System Model: Satellite 1115
BIOS: PhoenixBIOS 4.0 Release 6.0
Processor: Mobile Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1.50GHz, ~1.5GHz
Memory: 510MB RAM
Page File: 162MB used, 1087MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.0001.0904 32bit Unicode

Collapse -
by John Robie / September 21, 2004 11:01 AM PDT

If you are looking to see what DirectX you have it is in The System tab of dxdiag, usually the last item listed.

Most modern games that require DirectX 9.0c have it on the game CD to download. If not you can get it at:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/directx/default.aspx

Collapse -
by sha_bang / September 21, 2004 11:13 AM PDT

It is already loaded, it's just that it's saying it's not compatible with the graphics adapter?

Collapse -
by John Robie / September 21, 2004 11:36 AM PDT
Collapse -
by sha_bang / September 21, 2004 11:39 AM PDT

I actually do believe I have 'integrated.' So where do I go from here?

Sorry to sound so computer ignorant! : )

Collapse -
by John Robie / September 21, 2004 12:11 PM PDT

Determine what chipset you have and if it is one of these http://support.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-009472.htm then in the matrix chart notice the blank spots under AGP Port. That means you do not have a AGP port and will need a PCI Graphics card for graphics upgrade over "integrated". If there is an X in the AGP Port then you can use an AGP Graphics Card.

PCI cards are limited in how high you can go in performance. AGP Cards are considered unlimited and give better performance.
Whichever, get as highest a card as your $ budget will allow.

To see how different cards perform, scroll down to where these are compared in some games:

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20031229/index.html

Collapse -
by John Robie / September 21, 2004 12:32 PM PDT

First thing Sha is to see what chipset you have in your desktop. You may need to only update system drivers, or applying a workaround or patch from the game manufacturer.

Collapse -
by sha_bang / September 21, 2004 1:02 PM PDT

Where can I find that at? Thanks!

Collapse -
by John Robie / September 21, 2004 2:18 PM PDT

Several ways:

Look in Device Manager:
Click the Start button

Collapse -
by sha_bang / September 21, 2004 2:50 PM PDT

Well this is weird... I found out that I have Intel 845 chipset, but when I went to dl the update it says "the INF file does not contain info for this system's hardware"

Collapse -
by sha_bang / September 21, 2004 2:58 PM PDT

Ok, so I have Intel 845MP/MZ chipset... where do I go from there?

Collapse -
by John Robie / September 21, 2004 3:34 PM PDT

845MP/MZ and it is just now dawning on me you have a laptop/notebook.

That Intel chip has a AGP4X interface that can 'Provide the most advanced graphics support available, enabling over 1 GB/s of graphics bandwidth interface for high-quality 2D, 3D, and video streams'

http://www.intel.com/design/chipsets/mobile/845mp.htm

I have never worked on a laptop to even take a screw loose on those small computers. I would have to check with the Toshiba dealer on how to get a AGP4X video card to work with it, so I would suggest you check with Toshiba or the dealer you bought it from.

Regards,
John

Collapse -
by John Robie / September 21, 2004 4:36 PM PDT

What kind of update were you trying to download?
There are these different types of 845 chipsets:

845GV
845PE
845GE
845E
845GL
845MP/MZ = that you now say you have.

BTW what game is it that would not play? Curious as I have a large selection of PC games.

Collapse -
by Mark5019 / September 21, 2004 4:02 PM PDT

i would go to motherboards web site see if newer drivers

Collapse -
game problems
by societymisfit / March 27, 2011 9:15 AM PDT

i have this game i'd been playin a few mths. i moved almost nearly a year ago and durin the summer the game was fine. however now, i cannot play it. i get this msg and im not sure why. i've been reading how 2 re-enable directx which was somehow disabled on my computer, but i cant enable it. does directx work in safe mode?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.