Computer Help forum

General discussion

Directx 9.0b problems

by izhevsk / May 6, 2004 3:21 PM PDT

When I try to install directx it extracts everything according to plan but when it attempts to copy the files this error message comes up. " The software you are installing has not passed windows logo testing to verify its compatibility with windows XP. The software will not be installed." After that another message pops up, "Directx did not copy a required file."
Then the installation ends. I cant find any other versions of Directx anywhere only 9,0b and it refuses to work. What could be causing this?

Windows XP
Service Pack 1
Pentium 4 CPU 2.4GHz
256 MB of RAM
Nvidia GForce Fx5200 128 mb

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Directx 9.0b problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Directx 9.0b problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Directx 9.0b problems
by Cursorcowboy / May 6, 2004 9:28 PM PDT
In reply to: Directx 9.0b problems

The article [Q822798] explains the reason for many error messages received in situations where downloading and installing updates to Windows, its components, installing service packs, or installing a Microsoft or third-party software program and suggest troubleshoot tips for a long list of situations.

Collapse -
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 7, 2004 4:38 AM PDT

Here's another article and fixes along the same lines as Cursorcowboy posted above:

Collapse -
Re:Re:Directx 9.0b problems
by izhevsk / May 7, 2004 5:28 AM PDT

Thanks Grif but ive tried that with no success. the cmd
feature tells me that The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled divices associated with it. I posted another topic in computer newbies to see what help they can give me but I think that the problem is specific to me like maby in the process of tweaking windows I disabled some important processes or something. and like a newb i have deleted several regestry files to increase performance but ended up screwing the whole shinata or maby it was hijack this but i dont know, all I do know is I wont f*** up another $1400 computer
by thinking I know what im doing. tech classes anyone?

Collapse -
No need ...
by Kees Bakker / May 7, 2004 6:02 AM PDT

to consider the computer as worthless. It should always be possible to start over with a fresh install of the OS, undoing any tweaks, deletes, virus damage and whatever other cause you're current problem can have.
There is no reason at all why the current release of directx wouldn't install on a pristine Windowx XP machine.

Collapse -
Loaded, Bob Proffitt Post A Suggestion In Newbies
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 7, 2004 6:27 AM PDT
Collapse -
by izhevsk / May 7, 2004 8:36 AM PDT

Alright, thanks guys Ill try that jsi tip again. mabey I did somthing wront the first time.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?