Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Directory Service not currently available?

by IAmMelinda / March 22, 2006 4:53 AM PST

Not sure if this is the right forum because I don't know what's causing this but here I go...

I'm trying to print from my laptop using a printer on my network. It goes through my desktop which is what the printer is physically connected to. Always worked before but recently it stopped and I can't "find" a printer because when I try that I get the pop up box saying "The Directory Service is not available" and that is absolutely as far as it will go.

Both computers are running Windows XP with no problems and the network is fine (finally). They see each other and information can be exchanged. Just can't "find" a printer so I can print from my laptop. I did recently change printers and am having some trouble installing the driver for the new one on the laptop but it's related to this pop up because this was happening even before I changed the printer when I was trying to use the old printer.

Any help or advice is appreciated. Can't seem to find this problem discussed anywhere. Thank you.

Melinda

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Directory Service not currently available?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Directory Service not currently available?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Directory Service
by Darton Fury / March 22, 2006 5:53 AM PST

generally refers to a domain running active directory. Is this your situation? Have you tried the various methods to access the printer -use the run dialog box, browse your network places, use the add printer wizard, or from within an application? You might want to confirm that your Spoolss.exe file (the print router file) is still in place.

Collapse -
Thanks
by IAmMelinda / March 22, 2006 6:22 AM PST
In reply to: Directory Service

You got my brain juices flowing even though I have to idea what a "domain running active directory" is and I tried a few of your suggestions and at least got to the point where I can print. But, out of curiosity, I tried the "Find Printer" from the print dialog box in Word (which is where I ran across this situation)and still came up with "The Directory Service is currently unavailable." So while I didn;t solve that part of the problem at least I am up and running.

I appreciate you getting back to me. Thank you.

Melinda

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?