Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Direct X Nowhere to be found on my PC after download!

by spiralsylph / July 16, 2010 5:34 AM PDT

I am on a Gateway notebook, running the dreaded Vista, and just tried 2 times to download Direct X from Download.com. I can locate the files just fine, and have tried installing the program twice, as well, but cannot seem to find it to actually run it! I put it into the Documents folder, and the set-up file is there, with all its zillion cabinet files, but no icon for running the application seems to exist anywhere, nor does it show up in the Programs list. Even the search option yields no results. Help!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Direct X Nowhere to be found on my PC after download!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Direct X Nowhere to be found on my PC after download!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Downloaded from where?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 16, 2010 6:22 AM PDT

Most Vista systems already have DirectX installed as standard. Where did you download yours from? There may be installation instructions there.

Another thing, have you tried running DXDIAG from your Run command? If so, what happened?

Mark

Collapse -
Re: Downloaded from where
by spiralsylph / July 16, 2010 7:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Downloaded from where?

I downloaded it from download.com. I just ran the DXDAIG, which you recommended. It said there were no problems, but I still have no clue where to find the application itself, or to run it. I know I must be missing something obvious here, but I am simply at a loss. Would it help if I posted the monstrously long report the DXDIAG generated here

Collapse -
Re: download DirectX
by Kees Bakker / July 16, 2010 6:25 AM PDT
Collapse -
Direct X download
by spiralsylph / July 16, 2010 7:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: download DirectX

I found the Direct X I downloaded at Download.com. I just ran a DXDIAG, at the suggestion of someone else on this forum, but the question still remains: Where is the application, on my computer, and how do I run it?

Collapse -
DirectX isn't an application.
by Kees Bakker / July 16, 2010 7:39 PM PDT
In reply to: Direct X download

It's a bunch of drivers, dll's and such. What exactly are you looking for? And why do you think you should look for that?

Kees

Collapse -
Doh!
by spiralsylph / July 17, 2010 5:28 PM PDT

Yes, my son just told me it was something that comes into play when he is gaming, and now I feel like an idiot for trying so hard to track it down, when it is something that just automatically works when you need it!

The reason I thought I needed it is that I was originally a Mac User, and at the same time I got my last Powerbook, I also purchased a Panasonic Camcorder. Well, several years later, my Mac died, and having fallen on hard times, I had to replace it with a super-crappy Gateway notebook, which, of course has no CD/DVD drive. I have an external one, but again, the crappy quality shows in the fact that at less than a year old, it no longer plays CD-roms!

I could not install the software that came with my camcorder, so I went to try to download it, going by what the manual said about the necessary software. Foremost among those items listed was DirectX, but there was no in-depth explanation of where it might reside, and what it does! And the quest was on...

I did a bit more Google searching, and found that my horrific Vista OS came with a video program called Windows Movie Maker, which seems very similar to the iMovie software I had on my Mac. I found it serviceable, and am making due with it until I find something better.

I really want to understand my PC, but having only ever owned Macs, I find the learning curve on the steep side! I am embarrassed to have wasted people's time here, and thank everyone for their kindness in not pointing out how ignorant I seem about these matters.

--
Spiral out!!!
Sylph

Collapse -
Ahh, Windows
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 17, 2010 8:53 PM PDT
In reply to: Doh!

A complete mystery to me at the best of times, so I understand your pain, Devil

dxdiag.exe is just one of those many mysteries. It's a component of Windows without any documentation or easy access route. As you have found out, it's necessary for many 'enhancements' such as games, sound, and so on, and you will often see on game CDs the comment, "DirectX version 9" needed, or similar, but with no explanation how to check, or how to get it.

No need to be embarrassed and good luck with your learning experience.

Mark

Collapse -
READ ME ABOUT LOST CDROM DRIVES.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 17, 2010 11:09 PM PDT
In reply to: Doh!

One of the enduring problems with Windows is the CODE 39 issue. I am at a loss why this issue was not addressed by MSFT and vanquished with some patch or other method. But let's move on.

Google this -> VISTA CODE 39

You should find a fix it for me article and if your CDROM is missing I'd try that. I also would research how to clean a CD LENS.
Bob

Collapse -
Vista Code 39
by spiralsylph / July 18, 2010 7:25 AM PDT

Who knew this could be addressed?! I will check into it. I would be thrilled if my drive could once again be fully functional! Thanks for the tip!

Collapse -
Direct X,,,
by Papa Echo / July 16, 2010 9:08 PM PDT

is probably locatd at System32, but is hidden... it is "integrated" into the OS. "It" being a bunch of components. You cannot "run" it, but it comes into play for programs which require it. [e.g. graphics, games..]

Collapse -
Yeppers!
by spiralsylph / July 17, 2010 5:31 PM PDT
In reply to: Direct X,,,

I'm a real noob! Sorry for being so flagrantly ignorant. Thank you for explaining without talking down. I really appreciate the kindness of the folks on this forum. Happy

Collapse -
So did that work?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 16, 2010 9:36 PM PDT

You didn't say if running DXDIAG worked for you.

Mark

Collapse -
Yes, it worked! :-)
by spiralsylph / July 17, 2010 5:17 PM PDT
In reply to: So did that work?

I downloaded it from download.com. I just ran the DXDIAG, which you recommended. It said there were no problems, but I still have no clue where to find the application itself, or to run it. I know I must be missing something obvious here, but I am simply at a loss. Would it help if I posted the monstrously long report the DXDIAG generated here?

Collapse -
No it wouldn't help, :-)
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 17, 2010 8:42 PM PDT
In reply to: Yes, it worked! :-)

As others have said, DXDIAG isn't an application with it's own Program files folder, or listed in Add/Remove programs. It's a Windows Component.

If you want, you can search for the dxdiag.exe executable. In my system it is located in C:\Windows\System32, (I also have other copies elsewhere, which is not unusual).

But I'm not sure what you want to do with that.

Glad yours is working though.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.