Peripherals forum

Question

Direct USB printing documents

by trashbox / May 18, 2011 12:28 AM PDT

I just have a quick question. Does anyone know if these printers that say direct usb photo printing or pc-free photo printing will also print documents? I've got no experience with this and can't confirm it either way.

I know the more expensive ones will print documents, but I am hoping to find a sub $200 multifunction printer that can print documents via a USB flash drive.

Thank you!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Direct USB printing documents
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Direct USB printing documents
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Re: printing documents
by Kees_B Forum moderator / May 18, 2011 12:51 AM PDT

It should certainly be in the specs if they were able to render an xxx document (for xxx read: pdf, .docx, WordPerfect 9, AbiWord, ODT, .xlsx etc) without a PC to tell them about the fonts and having the Word or Excel or WordPerfect or OpenOffice reader to do the rendering work.

Which means: I don't think it exists.

Kees

Collapse -
Clarification Request
Let me clarify Word DOC printing a little.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 18, 2011 1:11 AM PDT

It is not possible for DOC printing on such a printer today because the RENDERING of the DOC depends on the user's printer settings (in Windows), the fonts on the host machine that can affect rendering and more.

PDF can side step this so can you use PDF?
Bob

Collapse -
by trashbox / May 18, 2011 2:04 AM PDT

Thanks that makes sense. I did end up calling HP and Epson. Epson said no, but the HP guy told me that their OfficeJet 8500Aplus can print pdf's and maybe doc files. He said you can email doc files to the printer.

I don't know, but it makes sense about the fonts and other rendering issues.

If I get one and try it I'll update this thread with the results.

Thanks guys (or girls).

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Review specs
by Willy / May 18, 2011 2:46 AM PDT

The main reason for these printers as I know it is to provide PC free access to print. In other words, no PC is needed, it is a "stand-alone" device which is great as you to place some memory card or such and allow the printer to start a "photo print" from that source. What you want or appears is basically a dual mode operation. In effect a printer as always attached to a PC but has the provided ports to attach a memory card and start printing , again on its own. What, if available is entirely should be explained in the specs of the printer reviewed. If attached as a PC type printer you would think it still prints from the PC side as before but if on a memory card, will it? That's the question you wanted answered. This would be a feature they would want listed. If all it provides is photo output when on memory card, then no docs, etc.., is supported.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.