Internet Service Providers forum

General discussion

Direct ip connection for online play with broadband modem

by sydykov / December 14, 2005 5:09 PM PST

I have two machines running xp, connected directly by a crosswire and sharing an internet connection from a thomson 536 modem. Windows firewall is off.

I have no problem playing LAN matches with the two computers however when I play tcip matches that would entail an outside machine the outsiders cannot connect. Neither can I connect to the outsiders.

I think it has to do with the modem firewall; as when i check my ip (with like ipchicken)it is completely different than the one assigned by the modem.When i look at the modem settings it shows me all the ip addresses but i dont know how to allow traffic to the one assigned by the modem.

I have read in the user guide that i can specify NAT settings to allow traffic, but i do not clearly understand how to do this- which ip address and port can i assign? and how do i know the range to work within? etc
At this point i dont know if im on the right track or not and Any help to rectify this problem will be greatly appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Direct ip connection for online play with broadband modem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Direct ip connection for online play with broadband modem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I won't be discussing ICS.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 14, 2005 9:53 PM PST

You are quite on your own if you are using ICS since it's controls are either non-existant or invisible.

But every router I've installed has setup pages to support quite a few games.

Where's your router?

Bob

Collapse -
The thomson modem I want to know how to get it to allow ip
by sydykov / December 15, 2005 12:28 AM PST

Thanks for the reply, and i understand, but my problem now is actually getting my modem (thomson 536)to allow the directip connection from outside. Yes the modem has a few games listed however it is only three. Also i do not have any of the three to test it.

I want to know therefore how to set one ip to recieve the game connections - like in the same manner as a dial up would : that is one number for any game.

As a side note: here is some info that i have been looking at but still cant decipher as to an ip and port i can use.

http://www.speedtouch.com/interface/R533/HTML/User's%20Guides/ST530v5v6/wwhelp/wwhimpl/js/html/wwhelp.htm?single=false&context=ug&topic=init

I know its fairly ridiculous to ask, any one to peruse this so thanks in advance for any help.........

Collapse -
For ICS users, options are slim.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 15, 2005 1:04 AM PST

But the IP number would be what the ICS Host or Server has on the ethernet connection to the modem. However if you did something odd like have a modem with builtin router then setup the local machine as an ICS server then you've made a setup that no one should know much about.

Maybe I missed which OS, but if XP, open the command window to type IPCONFIG /ALL to see if your external IP is there.

Also worth noting is firewalls which I don't offer support for also need to be opened on the ports that the game uses.

Bob

Collapse -
gonna keep on it, will post what i it if it works
by sydykov / December 15, 2005 5:42 AM PST

Thanks for the info, but i guess im just gonna have to keep trying at it....... p.s im supposed to get a linksys router later today so i can use vonage phone...... Is there any solutions that the router might help with in terms of this direct ip problem?

Collapse -
With a real router...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 15, 2005 8:42 AM PST

Things like what you ask about are usually a non-issue. Unless someone erects a firewall and can't control it.

Bob

Collapse -
RE: With a real router:
by sydykov / December 16, 2005 3:40 AM PST
In reply to: With a real router...

your tone is as if I assigned a firewall, as i stated i tried to ensure that there were none....... however it seems the modems default is to have a firewall present...... and i cant see anywhere to disable it.

even when i reset the modem their is no option to set it up............

is there anyway for windows to assign - an ip that cannot be firewalled by the devices?

Thanks in advance for any replies by you or anyone else following the thread. I really need some input.

Collapse -
is there anyway for windows to assign - an ip that cannot b
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 16, 2005 3:46 AM PST

"is there anyway for windows to assign - an ip that cannot be firewalled by the devices?"

No. But as long as you use ICS, ICS will act much like a firewall.

-> Again, there is no real cure here since you don't have a router and as such must live with the issues your setup provokes.

Bob

Collapse -
thanks
by sydykov / December 16, 2005 1:46 PM PST

well thanks you have been helpful, but as a side note some of my friends that have the same modem (thomson 536) alone that is they are not on a network have the same problem and cannot play internet games (other than browser based ones.) no direct ip at all.

any ideas?

Collapse -
In their cases my bet is ...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 17, 2005 3:51 AM PST
In reply to: thanks

They installed or have enabled a firewall. At least in their case, the ISP has some hope of resolving the game issue.

Keep in mind that some ISPs block connects to overseas game servers. Let me share that I've heard reports of such happening to the Brit users to America's Army servers.

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks and update of situation and problem:
by sydykov / December 17, 2005 12:34 PM PST

Well thanks again you have been quite a help, and im sure that my friends will soon have their problem resolved.
Anyone that can share some light on the problems please feel free to suubmit them...........the problem again being:
I cannot connect to any games via direct tcip.......that is not through any server lioke gamespy etc.

Situation:
I have two computers connected by a crosswire and i share the internet using internet connection sharing. The modem is a thomson 536. Lan games play quite easily. Windows internet firewall is off. The problem is regardless of which machine i use.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.