Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Direct Internet Gateway Problem with vista

by azi_84 / May 26, 2007 6:17 PM PDT

I am facing a very strange problem with Windows Vista. The thing is that we have a web server with ISA monitoring through which everyone pass to get access to the internet. However for managers we used to give the direct IP of the router in the Default Gateway and they were connected directly to the internet without going through web server. All was well in XP but now we got a new laptop for our manager with Windows Vista Business Edition. Now when we try to give the IP of the router it doesn't accept it and the internet is not working on the laptop. I have tried it on another system with Vista in our office but same problem. So anyone knows what I might be doing wrong or if I have to change some settings here or there

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Direct Internet Gateway Problem with vista
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Direct Internet Gateway Problem with vista
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Call that one in.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 27, 2007 12:02 AM PDT

ISA may require an upgrade to work with Vista. Your IT staffer will make the call, get the patches and set it up.

Bob

Collapse -
ISA is OK
by azi_84 / May 28, 2007 4:59 PM PDT
In reply to: Call that one in.

Thanks for the reply Bob but the thing is that ISA is working perfectly fine. If we give permission to the user to access the internet and route him through ISA it works fine. But here we are not trying to do that instead we are going directly to the internet router by giving its IP in the default gateway section of the network connection. That is when its not working. ISA is not giving any problems. So is there anyother solution I can try? Thanks.

Azi

PS: I am the IT support guy Wink

Collapse -
"the internet is not working on the laptop"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 29, 2007 4:33 AM PDT
In reply to: ISA is OK

Now break that down to what doesn't work. As the IT staffer you know what to do to test the bits and pieces. If not, just say so and I'll break it down for you.

Bob

PS. I subscribed to this.

Collapse -
Just A Thought.. Which Antivirus And Firewall???
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 29, 2007 5:18 AM PDT
In reply to: ISA is OK

...is installed on the machine. If the laptop is a "retail" machine, a lot of folks are having problems with the retail McAfee firewall blocking Vista's attempt to connect to the net.. Have you tried disabling the firewall to see if it makes a difference or maybe adding the IP address to the firewall's trusted sites?

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Thanks for the tips but still no luck
by azi_84 / June 3, 2007 8:23 PM PDT

Sorry for replying so late because I had lots of work the last few days and then the weekend. So back to business. I didn't have a 3rd party firewall on the system instead Windows Firewall was on which I turned off. This solved half the problem. Now I was able to see a globe icon on the network connection icon in task bar but the internet is still not working. I tried accessing the web server through Vista and pinged the internet router which all are working fine. Bob I don't understand what you mean by breaking it down to see what works and what not. Could you explain a little? Thanks

Azi

Collapse -
Some Thoughts..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 4, 2007 2:55 AM PDT

Sounds like a Winsock issue.

First, have you tried disabling/enabling "user account control" when connecting? The Winsock functions now need admin permissions and if you've got UAC enabled, it could be causing the issue.

Currently, there is a tool for Windows XP and earlier called "WinsockXPFix" but I don't think it's supported on Vista.. Too bad.

And just maybe:

A Winsock connection may fail when the program that opens the connection calls the Setsockopt function in Windows Vista

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Breaking it down.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 4, 2007 5:08 AM PDT

Think of how a web page is retrieved. We have URL which causes a name lookup at the DNS. Test to see if your DNS is resolving with the NSLOOKUP command first.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!