Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Dire need of help w/ lost files

by drumspace / September 2, 2004 7:14 AM PDT

i have a problem. somebody in my family was trying to "clean" our computer of "uneeded" files. Well im sure you can see where this is leading. Im not even sure if they are deleted or not. This is the problem...
i have a Sony DRX-510UL External DVD burner. it connects to my comupter via a USB cable. When the DVD burner is on, a little green arrow icon apears in the taskbar showing that the dvd burner is on. when im thru using the burner, i have to click on the icon to disconnect the dvd burner. in the past when i have turned off the dvd burner before clicking the disconnect , i get a warning message saying that w/out disconnecting thru the disconnect icon could result in serious damage to the dvd burner....problem is the icon is no longer there.
I can still use the dvd burner no problem, its just this stupid icon. i need it back because i dont want to do any damage to it, and cant seem to get any help in doing so.
I have tried putting in the software disc, but it doesnt seem to want to give the icon back to me. The disc i put in is a software disc that has power dvd, veritas record now dx, my dvd, veritas DLA, showbiz, veritas simple backup, and music match. I recieved this as a gift, and didnt upload the software, nor did i view it being done.
I have contacted sony w/ no help whatsoever. I have browsed message boards for help, and still none. i have a pentium 3 processor, running windows ME.
any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!! Thanks in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dire need of help w/ lost files
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dire need of help w/ lost files
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Dire need of help w/ lost files
by Kees Bakker / September 2, 2004 8:10 AM PDT

Didn't the DVD-burner come with software (on CD, I assume)? Then reinstall that per the installation instruction.

If you can't find the CD, try http://www.google.com/search?&q=drx510ul%20download%20driver
The Sony drivers are much more likely to contain the needed software then some random software selection on some cd.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
by drumspace / September 2, 2004 8:30 AM PDT

thanks for responding so quickly...
yes i assume the stuff is on cd, i have tried to download all the software, and it doesnt fix the problem. i have gone to the sony site, and looked at thier driver updates, and they dont have any for windows ME. i will look on the google link you provided me. again thanks

Collapse -
by Lawrence / September 3, 2004 1:49 AM PDT

I think the "little green arrow" you are referring to is the Safely Remove Hardware icon. If you do not see that, then as far as the system is concerned, there is no hardware to remove, that is, the system does not see any removable hardware connected. Since you can use the burner, it appears that the system sees it as a fixed drive. This is usually a driver problem.

What you might want to try is this:
1. Connect your external dvd burner and power it up.
2. Go to Control Panel and then Device manager.
3. Since you say that you can use it, it will be listed.
4. Uninstall it.
5. Disconnect the drive.
6. Reboot (better, although it is not absolutely necessary)
7. Install the drivers again (here I am assuning that you have a fixed cd-rom drive to do that)
8. Connect your burner again.

Windows will then inform you that it has found new hardware and will install the drivers, etc.

I think your little green arrow will now appear.

An alternative to Step 7 above.
Most USB devices require that you load the drivers BEFORE you connect the device. If the location of the driver in the cd is not easily found, then you can go to add/remove programs and uninstall all the related software. You will probably be asked to reboot. Even if it doesn't, I would still recommend a reboot. After rebooting, run the installation cd.

BTW, it is essential especially for removable drives that you use the Safely Remove Hardware icon. The reason is that the drive may still be writing and if that is the case, using the Safely Remove Hardware icon will tell you to wait. This is particularly true for burners which have a lot of end-of-job housekeeping chores.

I hope this will bring back your little green arrow.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.