Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

DINOSAUR COMP (FREE)

aquired an oldie but dos only running comp would like to make it useable for daughter to only be able to play a few games(no clue how to put them on) and a program so she can type and print/orsave reports for school all i can figur out is it is only running dos which is greek to me and it has 16 meg on it can i do anything with this thing or can i use parts for my comp now? not sure how much info you need still trying to get some......thank you

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DINOSAUR COMP (FREE)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DINOSAUR COMP (FREE)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Few hoops

In reply to: DINOSAUR COMP (FREE)

Well, you didn't really say much, but it appears you have a real oldie as you mentioned. It maybe too old for anything really practcial or fun ordinated. It has to be at least a Pentium cpu of 200Mhz or better, I would strongly suggest a 500mhz cpu based system to even think of using. Anything else, while it could be used it defeats the purpose of a useful system. The s/w itself would have to be old in order not to overwelhem the system. Check your local Goodwill or Sal. Army for possible old system or online at: http://www.shopgoodwill.com
Of course check any used outlets as well. Even a brand new entry level system can be had for $400 on sale or online from the likes of eMachine, Dell, HP, etc. but read the fine print. As for your orginal question, if it boots up and it is DOS, forget about it. It has to have at least windows 3.0 or try win95 as the absolute minium OS, but win98 is far better.

basic practcial system: 500Mhz cpu, 128mb of ram, VGA graphic w/16mb(video ram), 10gb of HD storage, windows 95, floppy and CD drive(CD-R, CD/RW or DVD), and the kybd, yada, yada....

enjoy -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
It is too old

to be of any use. I'd check and see if there is a local recyling center that takes old computers.

Collapse -
We still have a 200 MHz pentium

here at the office. Slow as molasses but has Office Pro 2000 omn it and works just fine. Has about 80 MB memory, but it is SDRAM DIMMs. Games would be limited to DOS or very simply games.

Your system is probably the Fast Page Mode memory or EDO memory, in 32 pin or 78 pin sticks used in pairs. They can stil be found.

Would need to know a lot more about the specifics of the system to be of more help.

Hey there are still people running 486 systems usefully.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.