Cameras forum

General discussion

digital video clips format

by betloutoo / January 23, 2008 4:23 AM PST

I have a Sony Cyber Shot and the video clips are in CRW format and I cannot use them in the slideshow software that I use. I have researched and can't find any way to convert the format to mpg which is what I need. I have written the Sony company but have not gotten a reply from them. Thanks for any help. Betlou

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: digital video clips format
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: digital video clips format
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Need More Information
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / January 23, 2008 8:37 AM PST

You did not mention the model of the Sony camera.
Are you using windows XP?
(if not, what are you using).

I have never heard of a video format called CRW.

Sony has been using MPEG VX format for years.

Why do you think your camera is making CRW format videos?

Collapse -
video format
by betloutoo / January 23, 2008 9:07 AM PST
In reply to: Need More Information

I have windows XP. My camera is Sony Cybershot DSC-W200. When I download my video clips they automatically go into my folder in a program called ACDSee. When I view them they are labeled with the CRW instead of the MPEG. I talked to Sony company on the phone for a long while this afternoon and they have never heard of that file name either. I have no idea where it came from. I have downloaded video clips there from another camera and they were fine. I just got this camera and thats the way it has done since I have it. No one so far has been able to figure it out. Thanks for your interest. Betlou

Collapse -
ACDSee
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / January 23, 2008 10:11 AM PST
In reply to: video format

I would guess that you have a free version of the ACDSee software program.
It is a photo manager program and can do some simple editing.

Apparently the ACDSee program is incorrectly seeing the video files from the camera as being something else.
The CRW format is a RAW format used by some Canon cameras.
It is a still-photo format......not a movie format.

So, your bad guy is the ACESee program.
If you are not using the program for anything else, remove it.

If you want to keep the ACDSee program, you need to contact them and see what settings you need to change.

The best option is to buy a camera memory card reader that can read Sony Memory Sticks.
Attach the card reader to your computer and put the memory stick from the camera in the reader.
Then look for a new hard drive on your computer.
That new hard drive is your card reader containing the memory stick.

Use Windows Explorer to copy your video files to your computer.

Collapse -
ACDSee problems
by betloutoo / January 23, 2008 10:48 AM PST
In reply to: ACDSee

Yes I agree I believe the problem is with this program. It is not a free copy, I purchased it years ago at the recommendation of my sports lab to organize the photos in the order I want them. All my photographs (which are hundreds) are in this software. I tried to reach them earlier but have had no luck. Will try the options you suggested. Thanks a lot. Betlou

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.