Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Digital TV Certification

by freebmonster / December 25, 2008 8:35 AM PST

I see that some LCD TVs are marked "DIGITAL TELEVISION CERTIFICATION: HDTV" and some are simply "NOT CERTIFIED". Could someone explain what this means? Even the ones that are not certified are 1080p HD TVs and receive digital signal over the air.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Digital TV Certification
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Digital TV Certification
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Marketing gimmick??
by givemeaname / December 25, 2008 10:34 AM PST

I can't think of any other reason.

What websites are you looking at & what model tv?

For the most accuret info on a tv best to go direct to the manufacters website

Collapse -
Digital Television Certification of Flat Panel Televisions
by JHCB3 / March 5, 2009 4:47 AM PST

Thanks for asking the DT Certification question - I have the same question myself and have not been able to locate an answer. Is there anyone who can provide one for us?

I am interested in the Toshiba Regza 52RV535U, which currently is available for only $1199 at Amazon.com. Its 42" sibling received quite a good review from http://www.hdtvsolutions.com and was well-rated in this month's/March 2009 Consumer Reports issue on The Best Televisions. However, I noticed that CNET states the Toshiba RV535u series does not have the Digital Television Certification. I want to know what that means, and whether it matters in the end.

As far as the reviews I have found are concerned, for the money the Toshiba has a superior high-def picture with only minor settings tweaking, the perfect choice for the money for someone like me who does not need all of the bells and whistles/additional features. I just want the great high-def image at the best price, and if the lack of DT Certification is of consequence, I need to know in order to make an informed purchasing decision.

Any thoughts would be sincerely appreciated.

Thanks so much,

JB

Collapse -
Marketing gimmick is all it is
by givemeaname / March 5, 2009 7:01 AM PST

DTV refers to OTA only & it does NOT deal with if the tv is HD or not, just that it has a ATSC turner so you can pick up OTA digtal stations, HD or not. Since mostly all tvs have a ATSC tuner is it a mute point, it's only on super small tv's (like under 22") or older tv's when you have to make sure.

DTV... deals with OTA only & digital OTA channels
HD ready.... HDtv with out a ATSC tuner
HDtv.... HDtv with built in ATSC tuner

OTA = over the air

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!