Cameras forum

General discussion

Digital Storage

by adtr / March 29, 2008 12:31 PM PDT

If I don't have a computer what would be the best way to store pictures from my digital camera? Can i upload the pictures directly to an external hard drive?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Digital Storage
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Digital Storage
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Digital Photo Storage Options
by Mr Eman / March 29, 2008 3:45 PM PDT
In reply to: Digital Storage

I'm not too sure if you'll be able to download directly to an external hard drive, but I'm thinking that you won't be able to. I'm not trying to be a smart a$$, but you probably should think about buying a computer if your going to shoot digital photos. Another option is to buy a photo printer (that doesn't require a computer) with the same type of card slot that your camera uses. At least you'll be able to print your photos directly from the card. Unfortunately, your editing capabilities will be very limited (to crop and red-eye reduction only) unless you use a computer with some sort of editing software. There are a lot of excellent FREE photo editing programs available for download from the internet.

Collapse -
Print and CD
by sheilakmcd / March 29, 2008 10:38 PM PDT

If I had no computer and did not want one, here's what I would do.

I would take my memory card to Walmart, Walgreen, etc, any place that does photos, and get double prints and 2 CD's made. I'd put one set in a safe deposit box, and keep one set.

If you have a DVD player hooked up to your TV, the chances are that it will let you view the pics from the CD. The quality is not great due to the difference in resolution between a TV and a computer monitor, but it'll do.

Collapse -
Re:Print and CD
by Mr Eman / March 30, 2008 2:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Print and CD

That's a very good idea. I didn't even think of that option...probably because I never take my pictures into a store for printing (I print my own). You'll probably have a few more editing options also if you use one of those kiosks at the store. Great idea!

Collapse -
Some other Alternative to a PC for storing digital images..
by AJLC / April 2, 2008 4:46 PM PDT

(1) You will not be able to directly copy from the Camera to a standard USB hard drive. You need a USB server (typically a PC) to do that.

(2) There are all kind of PSDs available now for storing image s directly to disk from a camera or a media card. These are not cheap! I use a Wolverine MVP which is a really nice little system with an 80GB hard disk that I use when traveling. I am soon going to upgrade the hard disk to 250GB.

(3) Another thing is there similar tools that burn your images directly to CD or DVD for example (Sony VRD-MC5).

AJLC

Collapse -
alternative to computer

I saw in an OfficeMax store the other day a portable hard drive the DOES allow transfers of digital camera images directly, without a computer. Sorry, don't have the brand/model. I was holding the darn thing and thinking if it would be useful on vacation trips, etc., when I might not want to take the laptop. So you may have options.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?