Cameras forum

General discussion

digital still camera with HD video&HDMI output

by orbya / March 5, 2009 1:59 AM PST

I am looking for a compact camera with 10 megapixels or more and the capability to shoot HD video, both 1080 and 720. Also, I would like to hook it up to my PS3 (HDMI)to watch on my HD home theater. Is there anyone out there that can guide me to the small selection this search would bring up? Thank you.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: digital still camera with HD video&HDMI output
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: digital still camera with HD video&HDMI output
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yes and no(but better)

The Canon SX1 can do everything you're asking, but it cannot be hooked to the PS3(that I know of). What it can do is be connected to the TV by the HDMI of the camera and watched directly.

Collapse -
It is great
by raissazhoua / March 5, 2009 6:27 PM PST
In reply to: Yes and no(but better)

I think you are right,I have a Top Digital Camcorders,but now it is broken.

Collapse -
Maybe I meant to say ultracompact
by orbya / March 7, 2009 6:40 AM PST
In reply to: Yes and no(but better)

The camera looks great; but my wife needs it to be a bit smaller and I still need all the previously mentioned features. Thanks for giving me a good place to start.

Collapse -
Subcompact
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / March 7, 2009 9:32 AM PST

I could not find any sub compact cameras with 1080 capability.

There are some that have 720 capability.

Collapse -
720 vs 1080
by orbya / March 8, 2009 12:51 AM PST
In reply to: Subcompact

It's my understanding that 720 and 1080 are "virtually" the same. The difference comes in movement. As I never plan to show the video I take on anything larger than my 17" computer monitor, maybe 720 is sufficient for my needs?

Collapse -
720 - 1080
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / March 8, 2009 1:54 AM PST
In reply to: 720 vs 1080

The most common rule of thumb says that most people can not tell the difference between 720 and 1080 input when displayed on a 42 inch television (or smaller). When you get above 42 inches, most people can notice the improvement of using 1080 input.

If you have a standard 17 inch monitor it will have a 4:3 aspect ratio.
That means the video will not fill the screen.

If you upgrade your monitor to a 19 inch wide screen monitor it will have the correct aspect ratio (16:9) for widescreen inputs.
Then the HD video will completely fill the screen.

When looking for a digital camera you will run into two HD specifications which mean the same thing:

Some camera makers will say 720p while others will say 1280 x 720
720 is equal to 1280 x 720 (WxH)

Some camera makers will say 1080p while others will say 1920 x 1080
1080 is equal to 1920 x 1080 (WxH)

Collapse -
Upgrading to a 19" monitor
by orbya / March 8, 2009 3:47 AM PDT
In reply to: 720 - 1080

That being said, I guess I am now looking for a ultracompact camera (like my powershot 750) that can handle 720p high def video with a decent zoom for that genre of cameras and is universal enough so I can plug and play without the proprietary cables/software required for some cameras (Sony comes to mind)Thanks again.

Collapse -
19" wide screen monitor
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / March 8, 2009 7:04 AM PDT

Canon just announced three cameras with HD capability.
SD780
SD960
SD970
They are not in stores yet, but will be in a month or so.

Panasonic has several choices:
TZ5
FX500
TX50
FX37
FX150
FX580 (not in stores yet)

Kodak
M1033
Z1085
Z1285
V1073
V1253
V1233

You only need special cables if you want to connect the camera directly to a HD television through the HDMI or Component cable connections.

Sony charges about $45 for the cable
Kodak needs a special HD cradle ($99)
Canon needs a special cable ($80)
Panasonic needs a special cable (don't know price)

If your HD television will take memory cards, you can just plug your camera memory card directly into the television and show HD.

If you do not want to buy special cables or load special software, you can put your camera's memory card into a card reader attached to your computer.

Collapse -
Thanks for the list
by orbya / March 9, 2009 11:16 AM PDT

I will check the cnet reviews to make my decision. Thanks again. Will let you know which I choose and how it does.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?