Cameras forum

General discussion

Digital SLR or not?

by rmarhula / February 18, 2005 3:57 AM PST

I am currently debating wether or not to upgrade to a digital SLR. The only hesitation I have right now is cost. I currently have a 3.2MP, 3x optical zoom camera. I have realized that the zoom and flash are not cutting it in some of the important pictures I'm taking (indoor school functions for example).

I've looked at some 10x zoom models at around $500. That started me thinking about going all out and getting an SLR. Can anybody help?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Digital SLR or not?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Digital SLR or not?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Digital SLR or not
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / February 18, 2005 10:12 AM PST
In reply to: Digital SLR or not?

It would have been helpful if we knew what brand/model camera you presently have.

If it is a digital camera with manual controls, or you are familiar with using manual controls, the transition to a DSLR will be easy enough.

If your present camera is point-and-shoot, or you are not familiar with using manual controls, the transition to a DSLR will be a pretty big jump.

If you are wanting to take indoor school function photos, this will require using manual controls. Regardless if it is DSLR or not.

Here is a link about exposure control:

http://www.pbase.com/otfchallenge/the_basics

If you are familiar with most of what this covers, go for the DSLR.

If these subjects are not familiar, let us know.
I have a plan "B" in mind.

Collapse -
Manual controls
by rmarhula / February 19, 2005 2:21 AM PST
In reply to: Digital SLR or not

I currently have an Olympus Camedia D550.

To be perfectly honest, I haven't used manual controls. However, I have noticed that I have been getting more interested in taking pictures of stuff other than the kids.

I have been a point & shoot guy up until now.

By the way, the info in the link is VERY unfamiliar!!

Collapse -
Advanced Cameras
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / February 19, 2005 5:01 AM PST
In reply to: Manual controls

I have used the Olympus D550 and it is a nice camera.

It has some manual controls but not enough for me.

Sounds like you want to get into a more advanced camera. You will get to do some reading, to catch on to the mechanics of photography.

That link I provided, is a good start.

I think the jump to a DSLR may be too much of a jump.
In addition to learning about manual controls you are going to have to learn about selecting lenses. And the DSLR has over twice as many manual controls available than does a non DSLR camera. You are likely to spend more time learning than taking photos.

A suggestion: Plan B

An excellent camera for taking photos at school functions (inside and out) is the Panasonic DMC-FZ20.
It sells for about $500.

It has a 12X zoom lens with Image Stabilization. The Leica lens is rated at F2.8 throughout the zoom range. That makes it a good lens for indoor school events where flash is not allowed or you are too far away for a flash to be effective. Most lenses require more light when zooming, this one does not.

Even then, you will need to resort to manual controls many times because there is insufficient light for point-and-shoot techniques. Remember, if you are also trying to capture some action, you have to use a faster shutter speed. Shooting at higher shutter speeds requires more light. When you run out of enough light, you use more manual controls and raise the ISO setting to effectivly add more light.

The payoff is, you will be able to get photos that others can not.

Here is a link to a review of the FZ20 camera:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfz20/

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?