Cameras forum

General discussion

Digital SLR

by Mary / February 23, 2005 11:45 AM PST

I am looking at two cameras. One is the Olympus E-300
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/e300.html
and the other is the Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D.
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/maxxum7d.html

The Olympus uses Zuiko Digital Specific Lenses while with the Maxxum I could use Minolta lenses I already own because I have the Maxxum 7 35mm. Is a camera that takes these dgitial specific lenses better than one that will use regular 35mm lenses? I love my Maxxum 7 and the digital version has all the same features but the price is around $1,400 and it's 6.1 megapixels. My Olympus C3000 is 5 megapixels so I don't get why so much for only that many megapixels? With the Olympus I can get it right now with rebates from Circuit City online for $800 and it has 8 megapixels unless I am reading the specs wrong on these two cameras.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Digital SLR
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Digital SLR
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The Maxxum is now a bit high, but it should allow you to use
by Kiddpeat / February 23, 2005 10:44 PM PST
In reply to: Digital SLR

the lenses you already have. The Canon DSLR cameras can use EOS lenses whether they are made for digitals or not. You should, however, check to be sure that your old lenses will work. It has to do with the mount and controls, not whether the camera is digital or not.

Collapse -
I now my lenses will work
by Mary / February 24, 2005 1:23 AM PST

Yes i already know the Minolta lenses I have for my Maxxum 7 are made to work with the Maxxum 7D digital. It's the exact same camera only digital and it's compatible with any of the Maxxum lenses as stated by Minolta. I want to know if the digital specific lenses are better compared to a camera that uses the 35mm lenses you already have?

Collapse -
DSLR
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / February 24, 2005 7:48 AM PST

I don't know about the Minolta lenses, but Canon is now making lenses just for their DSLR cameras.

Reports for Canon forums imply that they are better, smaller and lighter. But they cost about twice as much.

Collapse -
digital lenses vs film lenses
by raminolta / April 14, 2005 1:42 PM PDT

1-Some digital lenses are just made to be smaller as on DSLRs of smaller sensor than a 35mm film frame, one does not need to have an equally large image circle. The advantage is smaller, lighter lenses.
2- Some digital lenses are made to have an optical performance tuned to give better digital images. I do not know how big the difference might be in real life. I have seen some people saying they do see the difference, while some have difficulty seeing that the partidular digital zoom lenses are any better than older normal 50mm or macro 100mm lenses. It seems the difference may not be that obvious in most of the cases unless you magnify the image to large scales.

Ramin

Collapse -
Digital SLR
by mike d. / March 19, 2005 12:04 PM PST

This is a late reply for Mary, therefore you may have already purchased, but here are a couple of considerations. Providing your existing Maxxum 7 lenses are compatible with the Maxxum D you can use them and save money. I use a number of Nikon AF non digital lenses and a 17-35 digital (hybrid)lens with my Nikon D 70 6.l megapixel digital SLR with excellent results. Remember that the sensors on most non Pro SLRs are not full 35mm equivalent frame size and you have a 1.5 or 1.6 magnification factor to consider. For example, a standard 28mm lens will become 42mm, not great if you like to shoot architecure or wide angle scenics, etc, and the reason I purchased a digital 17-35mm (25.5mm to 52.5mm equivalent). For nature and wildlife shots a 300mm lens becomes a 450mm without loss of light and a significant bonus. A tripod is recommended of course. Lenses that are designed specifically for digital use with a small sensor SLR camera and designated as such may not work with non digital 35mm SLR's, and the reason I use the dual-use digital hybrid types. If the industry decides to move to larger sensors in the future a dedicated digital small sensor lens may become a museum piece if you wish to upgrade to a full-size sensor digital SLR. If you do not intend to print high quality prints above 8x10 or 8.5x11 sizes, 5 to 6 or 7 megapixels is a good range. 8 megapixel on the smaller sensors is a little crowded and may present technical problems in some cameras. It all depends on the type of photography you wish to do and the features that are important to you.
Mike D. Toronto

Collapse -
Digital SLR
by mike d. / March 19, 2005 12:19 PM PST

PS. for Mary. I should have mentioned Peter Burians excellent article " Digital-Dedicated Lenses. Do They Make a Difference?" Shutterbug magazine March 2005 issue.

Mike D. Toronto

Collapse -
The difference
by raminolta / April 14, 2005 1:34 PM PDT

If you think it is just about the mp size, why don?t you ask what has made Oly E1 more expensive than E300 while it is only 5mp and as an older model, bears older technology as well?
6mp vs. 8mp is not a significant difference while 7D has better built quality, better viewfinder, better LCD, better features and better user-interface! It carries magnificient AS system which makes all your current minolta lenses into IS lenses without paying a penny.

Moreover, the CCD sensor on 7D is of APS size significatnly larger than 4/3 system in oly cameras so that its images are of better quality (less noise).

Ramin

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?