PC Applications forum

General discussion

Digital photos loaded onto a CD; would like to email.

by Big Steve / August 22, 2006 7:26 AM PDT

Several weeks ago my neighbor who has a digital camera came over and took several nice pictures of my yard. Later that same day she went to Wal-Mart and developed those pictures herself using a Kodak digital photo processing machine in the store.

Yesterday I took my neighbor's images back to Wal-Mart and had the photo lab clerk print me 2 more sets of those same images as well as also load them on 2 Kodak picture CD's.

Earlier today I installed one of the Kodak picture CD's into a Dell Inspiron 1300 notebook computer which I'm using; the photos loaded immediately and I was able to view them in a nice full screen image slide show although the color and sharpness of the images on my computer were not as vivid and as sharp as the 4x6 images which I received from Wal-Mart.

After viewing the slide show presentation I then contacted Kodak's picture CD customer service; my call was routed to the Phillipines where I spoke to a CSR who walked me through a step by step process of installing a Kodak picture CD software program which took about 20 minutes.

Now the photos are in my computer and I want to know if I can email them out. I did attempt to email myself one of the photos; the size of which was 2.20 MB I think. It seemed to take forever for that email to finally come through. It could have been my slow DSL speed; 54.0 Mbps but that picture email finally did make it through and I'm now able to view it.

I attempted to open up the email to view the photo in full screen but I couldn't. I kept receiving an error message which read as follows:

This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the FOLDER OPTIONS CONTROL PANEL.

Can I still email these photos out now that they're in my computer or would it be easier to just have another picture CD made by Kodak and mail the CD out? I've been told by others that digital photography is the way to go. Please advise if someone can.

Big Steve
Biloxi, Mississippi
08/22/06

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Digital photos loaded onto a CD; would like to email.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Digital photos loaded onto a CD; would like to email.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Check our former discussions.
by Big Steve / August 22, 2006 5:40 PM PDT

Bob:

Your link contained 500 messages; that'll take some time to sift through. Well I reduced the size of the images and was able to email them with no problem except to say that the color image in my emails doesn't appear as sharp or as vibrant in color as the photos I received from Wal-Mart yesterday. I guess you can expect to lose some quality when emailing those images.

Big Steve
Biloxi, Mississippi
08/23/06

Collapse -
Re: email pictures
by Kees Bakker / August 22, 2006 6:58 PM PDT

Pete,

If your email provider has a maximum size for an email (including attachments) or for an individual attachment, then indeed, you either compact the picture (compromising the quality) or you split the file in multiple parts that you email separately and the receiver fits together again.
There are many free split-and-combine-again utilities to be downloaded. Most date from the time people wanted to transfer the occasional big file on small floppies, but they are very useful for emailing big files via limited services also.

The alternative is burning the pictures to CD and use snail mail. Or copy them to a USB-stick and transport that in person. Depends on the distance if that's practical.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
by Big Steve / August 23, 2006 1:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: email pictures

Kees:

The distance to physically send those pics is from MS to TX. Did you read my initial post? When I'm attempting to open up the email to view the pic in full screen image I receive an error message from I would assume Microsoft telling me I can't do what I'm attempting to do because of not having the right kind of file or something.

If I had high quality photo paper and photo inkjet cartidges installed in my HP 2575 Photosmart inkjet printer which I don't and were to email myself one of these images and then printed it out; would that printed out image be as vivid and as sharp as the images on the Kodak picture CD which I used to install these pics into my Dell notebook computer?

Big Steve
Biloxi, Mississippi
08/23/06

Collapse -
by Kees Bakker / August 23, 2006 4:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: email pictures

Steve,

I didn't read your initial post good enough to remember the locations (MS and TX). So if it's impractical to bring something yourself, consider it as a purely theoretical possibility. Or send the USB-key by mail and see to it you get it back.

The message if you try to open the file says Windows doesn't know what program to use to open the file. That's determined by the filetype or extension (the 3 characters behind the dot in the full filename). You can set Windows to show that full filename in the View tab Folder Options in Windows Explorer or My Computer.

If you know the filetype you can find out what program(s) to use and determine if you've got any of them installed. For .jpg for example Internet Explorer is the default. A good program to view a lot of picture formats is free irfanview (download from www.irfanview.com). Irfanview has an option screen somewhere where you can specify what filetypes it should associate itself with. KDC (Kodak Digital Camera) is one of them. Give it a try.

If the file has a good enough resolution, and the printer and paper are good enough, you could get a very good print indeed. But it's cheaper to have it done at a photographers shop.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
It's that many since it's been asked a lot.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 23, 2006 2:41 AM PDT

You should find your answer in just a couple discussions.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: It's that many since it's been asked a lot.
by Big Steve / August 23, 2006 3:23 AM PDT

Bob:

If I went to Microsoft's website and typed in my question would it lead me to a FAQ section that would give me a faster answer? How about a Google search?

Can you address the other question in my last post? The printing of the emailed images here on my PC using photo inks and photo paper or is that something Snapshot could answer?

Big Steve
Biloxi, Mississippi
08/23/06

Collapse -
I would have used the link I provided.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 23, 2006 6:52 AM PDT

I have not tried the search you tried so I'm unsure of the results.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?