TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Digital optical splitter??

On my Sony audio receiver I have one digital optical input jack that is currently receiving the audio signal from my dvd player. Has anyone ever heard of any kind of splitter that I can use to share that digital port with another device?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Digital optical splitter??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Digital optical splitter??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Since Wayne gave you the link, I'll give you some FYI.

In reply to: Digital optical splitter??

You will be splitting the light output, depending on the units and how long the runs are one of the units may not work. Consumer optical digital is designed for about 6~20' runs with out splitting. john

Collapse -
re: Optical splitter

In reply to: Since Wayne gave you the link, I'll give you some FYI.

I would use a splitter for two devices (Dvd player & HD Dvr satelitte box) and run the both into my receiver. In your opinion, do you think I'd have any kind of problem with those two devices?

Thanks!

Collapse -
Oh, then you don't need a splitter you need a switch.

In reply to: re: Optical splitter

Collapse -
Why wouldn't a splitter definitely not work?

In reply to: Oh, then you don't need a splitter you need a switch.

Why would it NOT work? Splitters work on other things. A selector is just normally used when there are more that two inputs and a splitter becomes impractical. Heck, Amazon has one for only $6. I'll buy it and let you guys know.

Collapse -
A splitter is used to send one output to two inputs!!!!!

In reply to: Why wouldn't a splitter definitely not work?

NOT two outputs into one input as you are trying to do.
Just some FYI: Optical outputs are on all the time. The LED is sending data all the time if mix tow of thesis together it will be like two people talking into a microphone at the same time. It's your money give it a try and let us know. John

Collapse -
splitter

In reply to: A splitter is used to send one output to two inputs!!!!!

The website "claimed" it would work. I'm a little skeptical myself but hoping I'll get lucky. Once I get it I'll repost and let you guys know.

Collapse -
I got it and it works fine....

In reply to: splitter

I'm running my Xbox 360 optical out and my Cable box optical out into the splitter and then running one cable from the splitter to my receiver's single optical input. I'm running 6 foot cables to the splitter and another 6ft to the receiver. Sounds great. I had a hunch it would work as the light doesn't really care which way it's going. It may be designed to split one audio source into two but if want to take to outputs into one it's really the same thing with the light just going through the splitter in the opposite direction.

Collapse -
of course...

In reply to: I got it and it works fine....

I have to turn my cable box off if I want to play my xbox and vice versa, but that's no big deal and doesn't require me to get up and play with an ugly switcher.

Collapse -
I agree with lawgone

In reply to: I got it and it works fine....

I agree with lawgone. I am running my Blu Ray, Apple TV and Minix using a 3 Out and 1 in splitter. Sound is crystal clear.

Collapse -
Optical Splitter use

Hello
I recently purchased a Samsung sUHD tv and needed another audio output because my rca output was no longer available. I had an optical output on the new tv but was already using my Yamaha receiver two optical inputs for DVD player and cable box. I was using the rca out on old tv to play my Apple TV sound which was playing to tv via hdmi hookup. I purchased an optical splitter to go from optical tv out along with optical out on cable box to one input on receiver optical input. I quickly found this does not work because tv output signal is always on so other device output mixes with tv output and no sound is heard. I then realized that I can use tv optical out to play sound from any device that goes to tv through hdmi like cable box or Apple TV. My question is basically can I play anything through the tv optical output to the receiver with the same sound quality as if the optical out for the device was going directly to the receiver as before my guess is yes and that it is acting as a relay from device to tv and back to receiver. Please share thoughts or confirmation. Thanks. Bob

Collapse -
Apple TV?

In reply to: Optical Splitter use

Doesn't that send audio over the HDMI link?

My usual setups are all HDMI to the receiver then one lone optical from the TV back to the receiver for OTA and App sound. I haven't needed more than one optical for years.

Collapse -
This helps

In reply to: Apple TV?

I have a Sony hd tv with one optical port and a Sony receiver with 2 optical ports. I have a bunch of speKers hooked up to the receiver, they work fine. Now, I need the Sony soundbar to play simultaneous with the speJers. My plan, thanks for your post, is to skip the splitter, run one optical cable from tv to receiver for speakers, and then another optical cable from receiver to sound bAr. Sounds golden, I'll let you guys know

Collapse -
optical splitter

this might help in some cases, of course not mine....so i just got a splitter to receive from my xbox and from my cable box and put out through my bose soundbar. the speaker wont put out sound if both xbox and cable box are on.
turn the xbox off and cable box sound works through bose. turn the cable box off and xbox still does not feed sound.

my question is why wont xbox put out sound when cable box is off? is the cable box still transmitting preventing xbox sound?

Collapse -
New Question about splitter

I have a question along these lines. New to the forum as well. I have a Samsung TV and I have an insignia soundbar connected via optical connection as that was the only way I could get sound from the TV to the soundbar. I connected a set of wireless insignia headphones to the Directv box via rca as that was the only way to get the headphones to work. Here is my problem. When I change my source on the TV to HDMI2 to access Netflix, Hulu, etc. the headphones will not work. They only work on HDMI1. I have tried every connection I can but nothing works. Any suggestions would be welcome. The headphones do not have an optical connection, only an rca. The TV does not have a headphone adapter only one set of rec red and white connectors.

Collapse -
This old post.

In reply to: New Question about splitter

This means we can't hold a discussion on this. It's just too much to scroll down here on an old post.

Make new post all your own with all details.

About the RCA jacks on TVs. Almost all are inputs and not used for headphiones.

Collapse -
Try this DA decoder

In reply to: New Question about splitter

Collapse -
One Output for Two Inputs

I have a TV with ONE optic audio out and I want to play the TV with my soundbar. I also want to use my headphones after the family goes to bed. Right now I just unplug the cable from one device and plug in the cable from the other device. I make the selection on my TV and everything works flawlessly.

I don't want to have to keep unplugging and plugging. Is there a GOOD splitter or switch someone could advise me on? Thank you much !

Collapse -
Visit amazon

In reply to: One Output for Two Inputs

Look for a j tech model with remote. Done.

Collapse -
Visit amazon

Look for a j tech model with remote. Done.

Collapse -
One Optic Audio Out but two devices

I have a Sono soundbar and Sennheiser headphones that need to be both hooked up to Optic Audio Out to work properly, and choosing only one is not an option. I want to hear the sound clearly in room from soundbar while my husband uses the headphones for his hard of hearing. Has anyone found a solution to this problem? I am getting ready to purchase a new TV and want to know what is available to solve this problem.

Collapse -
I see optical splitters were noted.

In reply to: One Optic Audio Out but two devices

I worry here that you missed that.

Collapse -
One optical with splitter to two devices

In reply to: One Optic Audio Out but two devices

Hi, In regards to you wanting to use a sound bar and husband headphone. I have the same problem, my wife uses the sound bar and I want to connect my loop system. Unfortunate, my TV Samsung does not have an AUX out, I therefore have only one option as the HDMI ARC does not work on my loop system. The solution as far as I can see, is to use the optical connections, therefore I need to purchase an optical splitter and hope that the sound will go to both devices.

Samsung advise they carried out a survey and found out that AUX connections where no longer needed, I wonder who they surveyed.

So have you resolved your problem as yet

I in the meantime, have my sound bar on and a microphone placed on top of it, feeding into my loop system. It works but I now can hear the wife banging around the house whilst I'm listening.

Collapse -
More info on your gear would help

In reply to: One optical with splitter to two devices

Been there, done that, but knowing all makes/models of your gear (including headphones/loop details) will make our job easier.

FWIW, I set up this one for my own father who is hard of hearing:

J-Tech Digital Premium Quality SPDIF TOSLINK Digital Optical Audio 1x3 Splitter (One Input 3 Outputs) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HQ2R314/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_SbaHBbYNHHJHQ

Collapse -
J-Tech 1x3 Splitter

In reply to: More info on your gear would help

Thanks for the great information on the J-Tech 1x3 digital optical audio splitter and it worked with my LG smart TV, Sony soundbar and OwnZone wireless headphones. The audio sound plays on both devices for cable, Netflix, Youtube, Amazon Prime, however Hulu audio only works on the soundbar. Hulu is working on a solution to play audio on both the soundbar and wireless headphones.

Note, the digital output on the LG smart TV had to be changed from Dolby to PCM for the static to disappear from the headphone.

Collapse -
Glad to hear it worked :). (N/t)

In reply to: J-Tech 1x3 Splitter

N/t

Collapse -
Question about using an optical splitter

I have a Yamaha RX-V567 home theatre receiver. I would like to add a TV wireless headphone (Sennheiser). This unit will accept a dig. optical input. My receiver only has one optical input which is currently used for audio from the TV. Can I add a 1 in-2out optical splitter and accomplish this?

Collapse -
That's what such a device is for.

In reply to: Question about using an optical splitter

Only warning. Be sure to get it with a return policy as sometimes they don't work. Unsure why.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.