TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Digital optical splitter??

by richie1978 / January 9, 2007 6:18 PM PST

On my Sony audio receiver I have one digital optical input jack that is currently receiving the audio signal from my dvd player. Has anyone ever heard of any kind of splitter that I can use to share that digital port with another device?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Digital optical splitter??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Digital optical splitter??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Since Wayne gave you the link, I'll give you some FYI.
by jcrobso / January 10, 2007 1:03 AM PST

You will be splitting the light output, depending on the units and how long the runs are one of the units may not work. Consumer optical digital is designed for about 6~20' runs with out splitting. john

Collapse -
re: Optical splitter
by richie1978 / January 10, 2007 6:01 AM PST

I would use a splitter for two devices (Dvd player & HD Dvr satelitte box) and run the both into my receiver. In your opinion, do you think I'd have any kind of problem with those two devices?

Thanks!

Collapse -
Oh, then you don't need a splitter you need a switch.
by jcrobso / January 10, 2007 6:09 AM PST
In reply to: re: Optical splitter
Collapse -
Why wouldn't a splitter definitely not work?
by lawgone / January 12, 2007 4:14 AM PST

Why would it NOT work? Splitters work on other things. A selector is just normally used when there are more that two inputs and a splitter becomes impractical. Heck, Amazon has one for only $6. I'll buy it and let you guys know.

Collapse -
A splitter is used to send one output to two inputs!!!!!
by jcrobso / January 12, 2007 4:26 AM PST

NOT two outputs into one input as you are trying to do.
Just some FYI: Optical outputs are on all the time. The LED is sending data all the time if mix tow of thesis together it will be like two people talking into a microphone at the same time. It's your money give it a try and let us know. John

Collapse -
splitter
by lawgone / January 15, 2007 4:32 AM PST

The website "claimed" it would work. I'm a little skeptical myself but hoping I'll get lucky. Once I get it I'll repost and let you guys know.

Collapse -
I got it and it works fine....
by lawgone / January 18, 2007 2:46 AM PST
In reply to: splitter

I'm running my Xbox 360 optical out and my Cable box optical out into the splitter and then running one cable from the splitter to my receiver's single optical input. I'm running 6 foot cables to the splitter and another 6ft to the receiver. Sounds great. I had a hunch it would work as the light doesn't really care which way it's going. It may be designed to split one audio source into two but if want to take to outputs into one it's really the same thing with the light just going through the splitter in the opposite direction.

Collapse -
of course...
by lawgone / January 18, 2007 2:54 AM PST

I have to turn my cable box off if I want to play my xbox and vice versa, but that's no big deal and doesn't require me to get up and play with an ugly switcher.

Collapse -
I agree with lawgone
by thebaritone55 / December 3, 2016 5:45 AM PST

I agree with lawgone. I am running my Blu Ray, Apple TV and Minix using a 3 Out and 1 in splitter. Sound is crystal clear.

Collapse -
Optical Splitter use
by Audibob1 / December 30, 2015 3:08 PM PST

Hello
I recently purchased a Samsung sUHD tv and needed another audio output because my rca output was no longer available. I had an optical output on the new tv but was already using my Yamaha receiver two optical inputs for DVD player and cable box. I was using the rca out on old tv to play my Apple TV sound which was playing to tv via hdmi hookup. I purchased an optical splitter to go from optical tv out along with optical out on cable box to one input on receiver optical input. I quickly found this does not work because tv output signal is always on so other device output mixes with tv output and no sound is heard. I then realized that I can use tv optical out to play sound from any device that goes to tv through hdmi like cable box or Apple TV. My question is basically can I play anything through the tv optical output to the receiver with the same sound quality as if the optical out for the device was going directly to the receiver as before my guess is yes and that it is acting as a relay from device to tv and back to receiver. Please share thoughts or confirmation. Thanks. Bob

Collapse -
Apple TV?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 30, 2015 3:21 PM PST
In reply to: Optical Splitter use

Doesn't that send audio over the HDMI link?

My usual setups are all HDMI to the receiver then one lone optical from the TV back to the receiver for OTA and App sound. I haven't needed more than one optical for years.

Collapse -
This helps
by ThomsonWesthafer / April 9, 2017 4:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Apple TV?

I have a Sony hd tv with one optical port and a Sony receiver with 2 optical ports. I have a bunch of speKers hooked up to the receiver, they work fine. Now, I need the Sony soundbar to play simultaneous with the speJers. My plan, thanks for your post, is to skip the splitter, run one optical cable from tv to receiver for speakers, and then another optical cable from receiver to sound bAr. Sounds golden, I'll let you guys know

Collapse -
optical splitter
by haswell06 / December 18, 2016 4:00 PM PST

this might help in some cases, of course not mine....so i just got a splitter to receive from my xbox and from my cable box and put out through my bose soundbar. the speaker wont put out sound if both xbox and cable box are on.
turn the xbox off and cable box sound works through bose. turn the cable box off and xbox still does not feed sound.

my question is why wont xbox put out sound when cable box is off? is the cable box still transmitting preventing xbox sound?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.