The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Digital only (no screen) GPS

by LionsMike / August 7, 2008 12:58 AM PDT

I have been looking for a handheld GPS device which displays co-ordinates only. These were available years ago (very very expensive) but I cannot find any today.

They should be reasonable with the advances in GPS devices but I cannot fond them at any price.

I might be interested in a unit which has a screen (which would be completely useless and would be nice if it could be turned off to conserve battery) if it has the digital readout.

DOES ANYONE KNOW if such devices are available? if so could you forward information on them.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Digital only (no screen) GPS
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Digital only (no screen) GPS
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Having built one.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 16, 2008 10:48 AM PDT

I used an off the shelf GPS from Trimble and a small single board computer with a 2 line LCD. The connection was via serial ports and the code was trivial.

Are you able to solder wires and write micro controller code?

Collapse -
I don't think that will work
by LionsMike / August 16, 2008 3:39 PM PDT
In reply to: Having built one.

If a computer is involved, there are lots of programs which will work.

I am looking for a handheld unit with a fairly long battery life.

When you are out on the water in the middle of a large forest, the LCD display screen is useless. It is simply a solid blue or a solid green screen. If my destination point is N 41

Collapse -
I see you can't do this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 16, 2008 10:19 PM PDT

Sorry, I was sharing my experience in using a small single board computer, 2 line LCD and the Trimble unit. Later this was the basis for a schoolbus GPS device to record lat and lon onto the CCTV camera system.

The unit I built could be in a small plastic box with a single button to tell it to wake up and show just the latlong. Battery life looks to be five years.

Its a shame that no one seems to think to build what they can't buy anymore.
Bob

Collapse -
Battery Life
by LionsMike / August 17, 2008 3:04 AM PDT

My concern was the battery lfe between charges. I don't think that you mean charge it and leave it on for five years between charges.

If you do I want to give some thought to that.

Mike

Collapse -
My design isn't that smart.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 17, 2008 3:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Battery Life

It's a simple pushbutton that powers it up, GPS and all that wakes up, a reading is displayed and then it shuts down. It was built just a few years ago from off the shelf parts and has the same battery.

Maybe today people don't want to make things but expect anything they can imagine to be on Amazon? (sorry, but I can't find a way to reword that so no offense is intended here.)
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?