The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

"Digital Copy" = big fat FAIL.

by minimalist / August 10, 2008 10:53 AM PDT

So I buy a DVD of Dark City this weekend and it has a "Digital Copy included" sticker on the front. Cool. I would have gotten the disc anyway but OK, that makes the deal a little bit sweeter. And then I realize its a stupid DRM'd wmv file that can only be used on a windows machine and is not iPod compatible and to further complicate matters it can only be accessed one time after fussing around with some ridiculous code to get it off the second disc.

So what exactly is the point of offering this as some sort of "feature" if its incompatible with the players that 75% of the American public actually use? I know its all about the dealmaking and who pays you the most money to use their DRM scheme, yada yada yada. But what's the point of all those gyrations if the end result is just a bunch of frustrated customers wondering why they can't use the media they just legally paid for? And of course its all the more laughable because the elephant in the room is so obvious.... you can just rip the feature disc with Handbrake in about half the time it takes to deal with all those other DRM hoops anyway.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: "Digital Copy" = big fat FAIL.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: "Digital Copy" = big fat FAIL.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
ohh well
by mementh / August 10, 2008 12:01 PM PDT

DRM has never truely protected the media.. and honestly most people are not going to steal it. so therefore money is being wasted on DRM and causing headaces..

Collapse -
I find that....
by Magishine / August 10, 2008 1:32 PM PDT
In reply to: ohh well

....DRM causes some people to resort to stealing IMO. And really, is it stealing if you already bought something but want a copy that you can actually use? For example, buying Dark City and downloading a copy off bittorrent? There really shouldn't be a problem since I bought it and I want to use it my way.

It's very annoying when you get a "feature" and then get told how you should use something that belongs to you.

Collapse -
Everytime the studios try another gimmick
by minimalist / August 10, 2008 1:41 PM PDT
In reply to: ohh well

like this I just roll my eyes. It always sounds so promising in the initial press release and you think, "you know, maybe they really get it this time." And then they inevitably go and screw it up in the end because they are so afraid of giving up control, which of course just exacerbates the problem and causes them to digs their graves a little bit deeper.

I am beginning to think that the television and movie studios will have to hit rock bottom like the recording industry before they will accept that they can no longer control how we consumer their content. Sad that history has to repeat itself.

Collapse -
Tools
by barriepayne5 / August 10, 2008 2:47 PM PDT

I've found quite a few tools that do remove drm from different types of media files. We all know they exist. The interesting thing to note is that I only went looking for this type of software when some media I bought from a music service wouldn't play on my music bridge. I know I could burn and rip but for 20 bucks I found a program that did the same thing internally in the computer.

One side effect was that it removes DRM from even the subscription based music. I can download any monthly based song and boom, DRM gone and even with this power, I still buy tracks. I'm sure that boggles some CEO's mind. I have the power to steal at my fingers and I choose not to. Novel idea.

Same goes with copying DVD's. It's not hard to find software that will make exact dupes of movies, including menus and features, with just a small fee that covers a lifetime of updates. I know. I bought it.

Point is, DRM does nothing. ANYONE who wants to copy media can. The only people who have a problem are the people who most likely would have a very small effect on the bottom line anyways.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?