Cameras forum

General discussion

Digital cameras and water

by pjsoxfan / April 7, 2006 6:14 AM PDT

I have a Canon Digital Rebel XT and love it. Recently my sister bought a digital camera (not an SLR; not sure which brand) for her vacation to New Zealand. Halfway through the trip after a wet hike, the camera stopped working. The camera had never been submerged in water and she'd been careful about letting it get too wet from the rain. She brought it to a repair shop and the guy there said it was an extremely common problem with ALL digital cameras.

She couldn't really explain to me what the actual problem was - can anyone figure it out from my description? What about using a digital camera in the rain - are all of them destined to malfunction when exposed to just a little bit of exterior water? I live in a humid climate and travel to a lot of tropical locations where I'd want to bring my DSLR. In rainy conditions, normally I'd wrap it in a plastic bag and only expose the end of the lens, but am I doing enough to protect it? I really don't want my $800 camera to be suddenly rendered useless.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Digital cameras and water
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Digital cameras and water
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
As the cameras get more expensive, such as SLRs, they
by Kiddpeat / April 7, 2006 8:10 AM PDT

start getting additional features like seals to keep out dust and water. The Rebel is probably pretty well protected although not as much as a 5D for example. There are 'bags' available to protect them from rain. Basically, they are kept enclosed except for a lense opening.

They are NOT all destined to malfunction, but water in any electonic device is a problem. Her camera may come back to life after it dries out thoroughly. Note that ALL cameras these days rely on electronics.

Collapse -
Weatherproof
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / April 7, 2006 9:01 AM PDT
Collapse -
If I were you,
by jump1127 / April 7, 2006 12:18 PM PDT

I wouldn't risk my DSLR or digital camera shooting out in the outdoor rain without any umbrella or waterproof cover. Even the best weather proof camera ( except Pentax's water resistant system ), such as Canon 1Ds Mark II, is vulnerable to the rain drop in between camera joints. For instance, the area of lense mounting where the electronic circuit operates, triggered by shutter button. Read the manual instruction carefully ! But, to me, I'd better not risk shooting out in the rain.

Collapse -
My 20D has a rubber O-ring at that joint. My guess is that
by Kiddpeat / April 7, 2006 2:37 PM PDT
In reply to: If I were you,

the Mark II has even heavier protection. These cameras are made to be used by working pros. That means some exposure to water. I suspect that does not include exposing them to drenching rain or immersing them in water. However, some exposure is probably OK. Look at your camera, and judge accordingly.

Collapse -
Sony DSCW1
by fdoddodson / April 9, 2006 3:30 AM PDT

I used mine pretty much anywhere i go and accidently dropped it in the lake(22feet deep)...a week later I retrieved it and let it dry (air) and put fresh batteries in it...never had a problem since(2yrs) ;-P

PS I did wipe/clean the lens!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.