Cameras forum

General discussion

Digital Cameras

by lanaember / February 13, 2006 7:51 AM PST

Hi,
I am a dentist and need to take close up pics of teeth. I'm looking for a digital camera with excellent macro capabilities as well as an excellent zoom for other times. Price-wise I'm looking to spend about $800-$900. Also, does a high megapixel have anything to do with the macro function. In other words, does a camera with an 8mp have any better macro function as a camera witha 3 or 4 mp camera. It seems as if all the camera review sites can be broken down into size of zoom, size of mp, and price. I can never find any info about macro size. Please help me...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Digital Cameras
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Digital Cameras
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Digital Cameras
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / February 13, 2006 10:03 AM PST
In reply to: Digital Cameras

Macro range on digital cameras is usually specified in cm (centimeters), which defines the distance between the lens and the target.

Example: The Canon A620 camera has a macro specification of 1cm to 45cm. Meaning that (when in macro mode) the camera can focus from 1cm to 45cm (0.4 to 18 inches). At 1cm, the image of a postage stamp should fill the screen.

Megapixels play no part in the macro specifications.

The Canon A620 would probably do what you want and it sells for around $350.

The very best macro tool is a DSLR (digital single lens reflex) camera fitted with a macro lens. But such a camera and lens will cost about $1,200.

When shooting with macro, you must have the camera on a tripod to prevent camera movement while taking the photo.

I suggest you visit a local camera store and have them demonstrate the macro feature of a Canon A620.

Collapse -
Macro answers
by fredericksphoto / February 13, 2006 12:12 PM PST
In reply to: Digital Cameras

I know that with Digital cameras we see a whole lot of talk about Megapixel (MP), and zoom lens 3x optical and digital but these issues have little to due with what is important for you. The solution to your problem is a good macro lens like Nikon's Nikkor 60mm Micro lens, or Canon's 60mm Macro lens, These kind of lenses would allow you to get close up and a 1 to 1 ratio. I noticed you mentioned a cost of 800 - 900 dollars. If you are talking US then a Nikon D50 with the 60mm or a Tamron 90mm Macro will like put you a little over your budget but would give you the best results. I have a number of Dentist for customers and many prefer the DSLR ( digital Single Lens Reflex) cameras to the ultimate solution. If this is not possible than you could try a number of Point and Shoot cameras like the Panasonic FZ4 for less than half your budget.

Hope this helps
Tim

Collapse -
Nikon Coolpix..
by lanaember / February 14, 2006 1:10 AM PST
In reply to: Macro answers

Hi Tim,
Thanks for your reply; but do the DSLR cameras also have good zoom capabilities? Which ones would you suggest? What do think of the Nikon Coolpix 8800 over the Nikon D50 because I didn't really like the Panasonic FZ4. With the Coolpix you can get interchangable lenses. CNET reviews said the flash gets in the way of the macro lens of the FZ4.
thanks,
Carol

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!