Cameras forum

General discussion

Digital Camera Recommendation

by wooly08 / November 15, 2004 1:05 AM PST

I currently have a Fuji A303 camera and have been fairly pleased with the results from pictures I have taken. I now want to upgrade to a better camera and there are a few different options I would like to take advantage of from other cameras. I am looking for a compact (smaller than my current Fuji), a camera that doesn't take long to refocus for another picture to be taken, picture quality etc. I am looking to spend no more than $400. Any help is appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Digital Camera Recommendation
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Digital Camera Recommendation
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Digital Camera Recommendation
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / November 15, 2004 8:31 AM PST

The Fuji 303 is a fairly small camera.

If you want something smaller, you will only find point-and-shoot cameras.

You can continue with the same approximate size, and get a camera with all the manual over-ride controls.
Such as the Canon A95.

So where do your interests lie, point-and-shoot or a camera for the more advanced photographer?

Collapse -
by wooly08 / November 17, 2004 3:15 AM PST

Yeah I guess a little more info would help. I mainly take pics at concerts, sports games or random people shots. I started researching and have my eye on the Casio EX-P600. I want to step up some of the options from my A303 (resolution, zoom, shutter speed etc). Would this camera be a good option or is there just as good a camera for a fraction of the Casio's price? Other cameras I have researched are the Canon S500, Sony DSC-V1 and HP R707.

Collapse -
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / November 17, 2004 8:19 AM PST

It would be a toss-up between the Casio P600 and the Sony V1.

The price of the Casio seems a bit high. Look for a sale somewhere.

The Canon S500 and the HP R707 are both point-and-shoot. Of those two, the S500 takes the better photo.

Collapse -
by DonnaRJ50 / November 23, 2004 1:11 AM PST

My opinion is to spend alittle more to get alot more.
The Pentex Optio 750Z is 7 megapixels takes great moving and still pictures.
Has a setting for sports events too. You can also take a video of the event you want with sound.
This camera does it all and it will fit in your shirt pocket as well. Believe me this camera is just about all you would need..Fantastic pictures and easy to handle..If you check on the computer you could probably get a good sale deal on this camera.Good Luck

Collapse -
by brakewell / November 23, 2004 2:49 AM PST

Hi There The cameras you have selected are all good cameras the Casio gets Editors choice, the Sony Cyber shot DSC V1 only gets 4 stars The canon ixus500 I think you mean? gets 3 stars The HP Photosmart R707 gets Best Value all in Digital Camera Buyer if you value a Profesional view. I myself would go for more optical Zoom and a min MP of 4million. My friend has just bought a Fuji 5500 if I remember correctly it is a 4 mega pixel camera with a 10x optical zoom and the pictures he gets with that are quite impressive.
I myself have a Nikon coolpix 5700 which takes outstanding pictures but may be slightly above your price range, although since I bought mine the price has droped very low. Hope this helps.
Regards Tony B.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.