General discussion

Digital camera recommendation

Hi,
I am thinking of buying a new digital camera that can shoot stills and video.

I am currently reviewing the following -

(1) Sony Cybershot PSC-HX5V
(2) Sony Cybershot DSC-TX7
(3) Cannon Powershot SX210IS

Any pointers, tips, suggestion or recommendation on the above models will help me make a decision.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Mani

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Digital camera recommendation
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Digital camera recommendation
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Comparison

Here is a comparison of specifications:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp

Notice the red stars on the chart, that is the rating given by owners of the cameras.
Right under the red stars is a link to what owners have to say about their cameras.

Read them all.

- Collapse -
My 2 Cents

I own a Nikon D80 that I use primarily, but I found that because it was fairly bulky I would not take it with me very often. It also doesn't have the ability to shoot video, which can be handy. I purchased a Canon Powershot SX210IS and could not be happier. For portraits and stock photography I still use the D80, but for going anywhere or just quick pictures I grab the sx210is. I personally have never used the two Sony cameras mentioned.

I really did not think I would use the video mode very often, since we have a dedicated video camera, but I have found that I use it as much if not more than taking stills. The quality of video is good and it is so quick and easy to use that I find myself grabbing it quite often, specially when the little ones are doing something funny. I usually take short little clips and then use photoshop elements to combine and burn to a single DVD.

CNET Forums