Cameras forum

General discussion

Digital camera advise

by generic clone / December 14, 2008 12:58 AM PST

I'm looking to purchase a new digital camera in the next month or so and I would like some advise on what to look for. I currently have a Kodak Easyshare DX4530. It takes great outdoor daylight pictures. The color is incredibly vibrant. I have a couple of issues with the camera though.

Indoor/low light pictures are horrible. Without a flash they are usually dark and poorly detailed. I've had instances more than once where the picture came out blurry. With the flash, the pictures either come out looking over exposed/washed out. Very rarely will I get a decent picture indoors.

The other issue is the amount of time it take to take the picture. I'll give an example. A few days ago it snowed for a couple of hours where I live. It's been years since I did that. I took my girlfriend's dog outside to use the restroom. As she walked around I noticed the flakes beginning to fall on her fur. I thought it would be a cute picture for my girlfriend so I went back in to grab the camera. I got the dog to sit (which is a test of patience in itself) so I could snap a pic. Each time the same thing would happen. I would get her framed just right, looking up at me, with snowflakes spotting her black fur and when I clicked the button she would look away. I was left with a still body and blur for a head. It's not an instantaneous moment either. It's not like she is looking away the second I hit the button. I click the button, then the flash goes off, she turns her head, the picture shows up on the view finder. It requires the subject to remain motionless for more than an instant. As most of you know, in a lot of cases, that is too long.

I would also like a camera that has a decent Close-up mode. When I use the Close-up mode the picture is always blurry. I can not get good close up pictures at all.

So the above are features I am looking for in my next camera. Good quality indoor pictures, fast shutter response time and the ability to take close pictures without blurriness. The resolution isn't overly important as I will only be using the camera for casual use. I would like to stay under $400.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Digital camera advise
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Digital camera advise
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Taking from a Meatloaf song
by kalel33-20416052469708587370302374692233 / December 14, 2008 2:13 AM PST
In reply to: Digital camera advise

"Two out of three ain't bad". You can get many cameras that have very low shutter lag(the time it takes for you to hit the shutter button to the time the camera takes the photo), and you can get one that has a good macro mode(able to focus with objects close to the camera). The problem your still going to face is low light/indoor shots that come out blurry on moving objects. Image stabilization can help some, but when the shutter has to stay open for awhile motion blur occurs with moving objects.

We can suggest some cameras that can get the closest to what you want, but we need some more information.

-budget
-size: ultra-compact, compact, midsized, or "I don't care"
- how much zoom or focal reach do you need or want?

Collapse -
replying
by generic clone / December 14, 2008 2:47 AM PST

I would like to stay under $400. For size, I would like something that can fit in my pocket, either jeans or jacket. I would perfer to stay away from full size cameras. Like I said, it is for casual use, but I would like to photos to look good. As for zoom, I'm not overly picky. 3x - 5x works just fine.

The blur from moving objects is only a problem since my camera has a slow shutter time. I'm sure that will be solved if I can get a camera that takes the picture when I press the button, not 2 seconds after.

I am curious about what you said about indoor photos. Am I pretty screwed on that aspect? Is it going to be difficult to find a camera that takes good indoor photos?

Collapse -
you'll be fine
by kalel33-20416052469708587370302374692233 / December 14, 2008 1:39 PM PST
In reply to: replying

The indoor use of point and shoots will be relegated to using the flash indoors. Most prefer the look of no flash and no red eye. You might take a look at the Canon SD880, SD790, or Sony W300.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?