PC Applications forum

General discussion

Digital 8 to DVD

What software is needed to take my digital home movies to DVD? Is there any freeware? I've had great results with freeware like DVD D'Crxxxxr and DVD Shxxnk; it would be great if there were free apps to put home movies to dvd.

I have gotten as far as hooking the camcorder up (ieee cable) to my computer and transfering the video to the computer hard drive. WinExplorer says it's a "videoclip" file.

Now what?

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Digital 8 to DVD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Digital 8 to DVD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Have you tried Microsoft's Movie Maker?

In reply to: Digital 8 to DVD

It is free. How about the DVD burning software that came with your computer/burner?

Collapse -
Doesn't Seem Like Enough

In reply to: Have you tried Microsoft's Movie Maker?

I have a toshiba notebook (P4, 3 Ghz), XP home. It came with Movie Maker but it doesn't seem to have a way to burn to DVD. If it does, can you tell me how? Likewise, the computer came with a DVD +/- R and a stripped version of SOnic that doesn't seem to have DVD authoring.

What's next?

Collapse -
Read ...

In reply to: Doesn't Seem Like Enough

http://ask.slashdot.org/askslashdot/04/03/12/0115229.shtml could be a nice primer as to why you don't want to dive headfirst into a roll-your-own-dvd production. I've seen people expend a few months and in advance I never help them do such because it's not in my interest to invest that much time when Ulead, DVDSanta and other softwares to do this are so cheap.

But you are more than welcome to attempt it.

Bob
Collapse -
I don't understand

In reply to: Read ...

Mayube I'm miscommunicating something. I'm not sure what you mean by "roll-your-own dvd prodcution".

What I want to do is use my computer and DVD burner to put analog and digital home movies (my handycam Digital8 can play both) onto DVD to make them quicker and easier to view. Are you saything that I shouldn't try this myself. If that's the case what do Ulead (which app by the way) and dvdSanta do?

Please clarify
Thanks

Collapse -
Not exactly.

In reply to: I don't understand

Your post seemed to indicate that use of commercial products was not an option and you wanted to use your existing recording software. This is entirely possible but is very stressful on the user that tries this. They usually burst into flames at those that comment it's not a good idea.

"Are you saything that I shouldn't try this myself. If that's the case what do Ulead (which app by the way) and dvdSanta do?"

These applications do all that heavy lifting for you by creating the proper files and more. Try them. Demos are ready so you can see which you like best.

Bob

Collapse -
Due Respect

In reply to: Not exactly.

Bob:

my very initial question was "What software do I need?" I was thinking that freeware might be available since antivirus, Open Office, and the aforementioned DVD ripping and compressing programs are all free.

In the end, I just want to know what is the best and cheapest for very simple transfer of my analog 8mm tape and Digital8 (my handycam plays both) to DVD. All I want to do is maybe break them up into chapters and add some simple titles.

Thanks
Andrew

Collapse -
Exactly "free"

In reply to: Due Respect

It is indeed possible to create a video CD with sheer work and CDBURNERXP. But I can't help you do this. It's far too much work for how cheap the software items I listed.

There are too many tutorials about how to create a video DVD with just your free CDBURNERXP and whatever else video editing and encoders you find out there, but ... it's more support than anyone I know will type into this small box.

Bob

Collapse -
I use Ulead's Movie Factory

In reply to: Doesn't Seem Like Enough

and it does a good job. The version I have came with the video capture device I bought. You might be able to use a trial version and see if it meets your needs. If converting tapes to DVDs is something you plan to do often, I'd suggest you find a program you like and buy it.

http://www.ulead.com/dmf/runme.htm

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!