Computer Help forum

General discussion

Digging a hole.

by Ankhwatcher / January 23, 2008 10:42 AM PST

I appear to have nuked my laptop.
Okay Here is what happened:
1. I had a Linux Partition that had updated and screwed itself up, so it no longer booted. I didn't really want it anyway.
2. I used partition magic 8.0 to format the partition into ntfs with a view of merging it with my C drive after restarting.
3. Restart never happened, the boot still tried to use grub (a linux bootloader) and that had been nuked and would not allow any booting.
4. using my xp home edition installer cd in Recovery Console mode I ran various boot.ini writing programs until one made a difference.
5. I attempted to run my computer again. It ran slowly and then bluescreened with a "framebuf" error.
6. I attempted to repair the install by running the windows auto repair feature that was on the disc. This didn't fix the problem.
7. Having googled framebuf I tried to boot the computer in safe mode to replace framebuf.dll. Safe mode worked, but when it logged in I was forced to restart because I was running a reinstall program.
8. I installed windows Home Edition onto the partition that used to have linux on, and used that working partition to replace the framebuf.dll with a fresh one. This did nothing.

So here I am, I have now dug myself into an impressively deep dark hole of computer-aided dispair.

Any contributions would be appreciated. (even more so if they are in some way helpful)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Digging a hole.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Digging a hole.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If you stalled XP Home and it is working
by lacsr / January 23, 2008 8:32 PM PST
In reply to: Digging a hole.

Then what is wrong with using that OS? You should be able to recover the data from the bad install and be on your way.
Please explain how this will not do what you want.

Collapse -
Anything Wrong With Starting From Scratch?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 24, 2008 2:25 AM PST

Sometimes it's easier to move on and start over than repair all the damage. Place the XP disc in the drive, repartition everything, reformat the C drive and reinstall XP.. Once that's done, you should be able to reformat the newly created partitions.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Ugh okay.
by Ankhwatcher / January 24, 2008 5:20 AM PST

Yeah thanks guys, I pretty much new I was screwed all along, its just I have reinstalled windows so many times I was just hoping this one time it would be different.
I mean seriously, my external Hard drive is nearly full from all the times I have dumped my stuff in it before a reinstall, I have one complete system on there, one copy of everything from my documents and other places and one compressed copy of my ex-girlfriends my documents folder.
As Eric Idle taught us :
"Life's a piece of ****, when you look at it.
Life's a laugh and death's a joke: its true!"

Collapse -
Before you do that why don't you ...
by Edward ODaniel / January 24, 2008 5:54 AM PST
In reply to: Ugh okay.

make use of a bootdisk and run FDISK to ensure that your Original Windows Partition is set at bootable - if it isn't it won't boot. FDISK will allow you to make the partition bootable.

If it still doesn't boot (and it might not because of GRUB) boot the floppy again and enter this command FDISK /mbr which will overwrite the master boot record with what windows needs.

Collapse -
In the event that you do not have a floppy drive ...
by Edward ODaniel / January 24, 2008 6:12 AM PST
Collapse -
Problem... not solved, just overcome.
by Ankhwatcher / January 24, 2008 7:01 AM PST

Edward Edward Edward, thanks but I did that, that was how I managed to get it as far as booting and crashing when it tried to repair. Fixmbr did the job, but windows was just to messed up to come back from it.
currently I'm reformatting the whole drive with NTFS and I'll be installing all over again soon enough.

Collapse -
I do wish you had used FDISK ...
by Edward ODaniel / January 25, 2008 3:07 AM PST

because FIXMBR via the Recovery Console doesn't always do the job properly with grub. That is why I didn't mention it and went to the trouble of pointing you to the DOS utility.

Too late now, but do remember if you experiment again. Wink

Collapse -
by Ankhwatcher / January 25, 2008 4:41 AM PST

I've got it running now. Just waiting for window xp service pack 2 to finish installing.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?