General discussion

Difficult Problem

Hi guys I got a problem. Recently at work, a computer in the local network is not working anymore in the way that the keyboard and mouse are not working and it is a motherboard problem. Already tried to change them. I need to access a specific software to get its backup but it must be through the software and not just by connecting the harddisk to another computer so a format or windows reinstall is out of the question as the software has a safety function that if you try to access its data without logging in the software first, it is deleted.

Also I cannot reinstall windows and then reinstall the software as we do not have the software installation disk.

Is there a way to connect to the computer via the local network even though nothing is shared on it? I have all the relevant administrator logins and passwords.

Thanks

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Difficult Problem
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Difficult Problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Re: problem

Replace the motherboard by one compatible enough to allow Windows to run.

Then start thinking about a disaster plan.
- What if had been your hard disk failing in stead of a mere motherboard? Without installation disk you're out of luck; that would simply mean that you can't use the software anymore.
- How to access the data from your backup?

Kees

- Collapse -

Then the hardware can only be changed through third parties and we dont want that.

Backup was done last Friday and we dont want to lose the work of three days.

I heard that I can access the hard disk through the network if I have the administrator password even though it is not shared.

I tried to write "net use x:\\pcname\c$" but it disconnects and does not ask me for the user and password.

Any help for this?

- Collapse -
I think you jheard wrong.

You need a running PC to access a shared disk on it. And you can't access an unshared disk.

Kees

- Collapse -
Forgot

Also forgot to mention that I can access with administrator rights the local domain server so if I can do anything from there please tell me.

CNET Forums