Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Different users

by CoreyP / January 17, 2006 11:57 AM PST

Im admin on my machine with 3 other users. I noticed that anything i install, download, change, etc on my login does the same to all the others. Is there any way to make it to where anything i download, install, or whatever just installs on mine and not the 3 other users? I dont know if this makes sense or not. Hope so and thanks for the help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Different users
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Different users
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Depends...
by John.Wilkinson / January 17, 2006 12:13 PM PST
In reply to: Different users

When you download something, it depends on where you save it. For instance, if you save it to a shared folder, C:\Program Files, C:\Windows, etc, it will be accessable by everyone. If you save it to your desktop, My Documents folder, etc, it's accessable only by you and other administrators. If you want to make sure only you can access it, right-click the folder it's in, select properties, select the 'sharing' tab, and check ''make this folder private.'' While there are ways for other admins to get around this, and thus you'll want to ask about encryption for complete security, most don't know how or don't bother.

When installing programs, by default most can be accessed by anyone. If you wish to remove the shortcut to the program from the start menu, go to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs and cut the item. Then go to C:\Documents and Settings\your username\Start Menu\Programs and paste the shortcut. It will then only appear in your start menu. If you want to prevent the other users from having access to the program, it gets much trickier as you'll have to customize permissions for that. (Ask if you want to go that far, and be sure to name the programs.) Just note that when installing a program, it's not installed on each name...it's installed on the computer and made accessible to each individual user.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
Ok, that makes a little more sense. Im completely new to XP.
by CoreyP / January 17, 2006 1:02 PM PST
In reply to: Depends...

Thanks, that helps alot. I guess what im saying is if i download a certain song or movie or something i dont want it to be on everyone else's. Or certain programs that only i want and or need to use. I dont want it on everyone else's.

Collapse -
General...
by John.Wilkinson / January 17, 2006 2:24 PM PST

In that case, download the music, video, and other files to your own My Documents folder, or a folder on your desktop, and make it private so that others can't easily access it. (See my previous post.)

For programs, they may have an option something to the effect of only installing for the current user or for all users...select youself. If that option does not exist, you can remove the shortcuts as per my previous post. However, it's best you hold off trying to prevent access to the programs as it's not as easy.

If you have any other questions, or just want to 'get your feet wet,' feel free to ask.

John

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?