Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

different can't defrag w98se problem

by murphy97219 / July 1, 2004 7:29 AM PDT

I read the entry below re: w98 defrag problem.
I think my problem is different.
Defrag never really gets started. I can open and start, but it never gets past 0%. When I open details I get a frame, but with a blank white map.
I never had a problem before.
Maybe 3 unrelated problems, but it all happened in the past week or so:
1) IE doesn't work right now: it opens with the "can't find- choose from the selections below" page, but Netscape is fine.
2) Notepad closes itself without saving what I pasted.
3) Windows doesn't reboot/open most of the time - hangs at "Windows is closing" frame.

So what's up? Be easy with the syntax for me! I'm brave, but un-book learned!
Thanks
Murphy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: different can't defrag w98se problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: different can't defrag w98se problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: different can't defrag w98se problem Looks like Spyware
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 1, 2004 7:39 AM PDT

It's the same issue as previously discussed.

But that NOTEPAD issue is making me suspect your machine has the coolweb parasite. Read http://www.doxdesk.com/parasite/ and consider CWSHREDDER.

In closing, all that spyware can make defrag just sit there.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: different can't defrag w98se problem Looks like Spyware

Thanks, I'll give it a go (I thought I had turned off Spybot)
We may ask the same Q's over and over But I say thanks tons for being there
Murph

Collapse -
Keep asking!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 1, 2004 11:27 PM PDT
Collapse -
Re: different can't defrag w98se problem
by mikehubb / July 2, 2004 1:43 AM PDT

I have to turn off all running programs,stop screen saver and turn off cable modem to defrag. I think that something is wrong with that but thats the way i do it.
mikehubb

Collapse -
by jshadoff / July 2, 2004 6:57 AM PDT

I had this problem w/98SE 2 years ago and found if I go to safe mode and run my maintenence it works fine.

Collapse -
by CharleyO / July 5, 2004 1:53 PM PDT

Actually, Mike, that isn't wrong. If one of those running programs accesses the hard drive ... as one of them surely will ... then Defrag has to start over because the information on the hard drive has changed.

If you don't want to stop all those running programs & etc, do as jshadoff suggested and restart your computer in Safe Mode ... then defrag.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?