PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Difference tween Kingston memory KVR533D2N41G & KVR533D21GR?

by cheriberry / July 21, 2007 10:50 AM PDT

Both of these are sold on Egghead. They have the same specs: PC2-4200, DDR2, 1G, Non-ECC, CL4.

What could be the difference?

The N4 in the name of the one means Non-ECC & CL4 according to Kingston's site. The other stick isn't on the Kinsgton site. They are both Valueram Retail at Egghead, so it's not a renaming for a particular computer model.

The KVR533D21GR is sold at Circuit City. I'd like to get that one and skip the shipping, wait time, ect. But what's different and what would I be missing?

The KVR533D2N41G has 96 reviews on Egghead, the KVR533D21GR has 1 review (a positive). This is the link on the egghead site:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=50001183+40000147+1052108080+1052307858+1052408147&name=DDR2+533+(PC2+4200)Requested

I'm putting into a Compaq Presario SR1430NX, 2.93Mhz. It has 2x256 that came with it.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Difference tween Kingston memory KVR533D2N41G & KVR533D21GR?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Difference tween Kingston memory KVR533D2N41G & KVR533D21GR?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Your system performance not optimized
by VAPCMD / July 21, 2007 11:18 AM PDT

if RAM not installed in pairs. Bottomline installing 1-1GB DIMM does not accomplish that.

According to Kingston....."Comments: MODULES MAY BE INSTALLED ONE AT A TIME; however, they must be added in like pairs to take advantage of Dual Channel Mode."

Standard Memory: 256 MB (Removable) or
512 MB (Removable) or
1 GB (Removable)

Maximum Memory: 4 GB
Expansion: 4 Sockets

CPU & ChipSet: Intel Pentium 4 2.93 GHz Intel 915G

Bus Architecture: AGP; PCI; USB

Mfgr's System P/N's: PS566AA

If 4GB is installed, the recognized memory may be reduced to 3.5GB or less (depending on system configuration and memory allocation).

The following information (Bank Schema) describes the original memory configuration of this device, as well as the sockets available for upgrade. If you have any questions regarding the memory configuration of this device, click here

256MB Standard:

512MB Standard:

256 256

or

1GB Standard:

512 512

or

The information below describes the optimal path to take when upgrading this device.

Collapse -
The question is the difference between two sticks?
by cheriberry / July 21, 2007 5:23 PM PDT

not whether to take advantage of dual channel.

Do you know anything about the difference between these two sticks?

I didn't mention dual channel, because it wasn't relevant to my problem. I was hoping that by not including unrelated details, I'd make it easier to see what the question was about.

Collapse -
Based on the limited information available at the Kingston
by VAPCMD / July 22, 2007 12:29 AM PDT

website and the retailer's site, the only place to get an authoritative answer to your specific question is Kingston Sales or Tech Support. It could be a chip stepping or merely to differentiate the retail and OEM products.

As to the other comment ... your post implied you were possibly adding a 1GB DIMM to a (dual channel) system with 2-256MBs DIMMs. Doing so would suboptimize system performance ... as does adding four DIMMs to some systems which often reduces the FSB. Many users are not aware of these issues but your response makes me wonder why I took the time to verify the facts, to help or share such normally appreciated information.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
What is chip stepping?
by cheriberry / July 22, 2007 1:51 AM PDT

It doesn't appear to be a way to differentiate OEM and retail, since both are sold retail, one at Circuit City and both at Egghead. I sent question to Kingston first but they haven't answered question yet, and weren't good about another question I had a while back, so I wasn't holding my breath.

I won't be suboptimizing my computer. I'll be improving it by adding a stick. What I won't be doing is taking advantage of the dual channel, which isn't that much of a boost for the one stick to make it worth spending for an extra stick that I otherwise don't need.

I thought my answer was a polite way so saying how off track your answer was. I had said that I'd been able to look the stuff up on the Kingston site, so copying it into the post wasn't an addition. My concern was that someone else would come by, miss my question and this thread would become a debate about dual vs. single channel. Sometimes you have to assume that people have asked the question they meant to ask. I also mind someone assuming I don't know anything, when my question reflects that I do know the basics. I greatly appreciate help with my question. I don't think your goal was help - it was so off track, like it was to show me that you knew something and I didn't.

I'm assuming chip stepping is a way to use lesser quality chips in one same spec stick as another - which is precisely why I'm asking this question. I wonder is there is a different in spec that I'm missing (neither has a heat spreader, so it'd have something else). Or if there's a difference in chip sets used? They cost about the same.

I thought someone might know, because if you narrow down choices, it can't be just me that sees these two in the egghead list and then wonders. I also saw the same two in the simon list.

Collapse -
Leaving you to your own conclusions
by VAPCMD / July 22, 2007 4:53 AM PDT
In reply to: What is chip stepping?

Re: ?I don't think your goal was help - it was so off track, like it was to show me that you knew something and I didn't.?

For what it?s worth . . I checked the NewEgg website (not Egghead) and the Kingston website (for the referenced RAM) and the HP website for your system specs. But not knowing what level of system knowledge you had ....well, I?m real sorry my crystal ball nor this forum provide such detail about posters. I?d rather tell you something you already know than leave out something you really needed to know. Many are simply not aware their systems are optimized for memory in pairs of DIMMs; that adding a single DIMM sometimes won?t even work or that populating all DIMM slots may automatically reduce FSB.

It's a good thing most are grateful for any help and gracious enough to overlook anything they're already aware of.

VAPCMD

PS...For those reading ...here's some useful info about dual channel system architecture and performance benefits.
http://www.kingston.com/newtech/MKF_520DDRWhitepaper.pdf

Collapse -
You managed to make it about dual channel!!
by cheriberry / July 22, 2007 8:19 AM PDT

If you'd done the checking and said "I checked and didn't see anything either" THAT would have been helpful. It would have told me I didn't miss something obvious.

You are obnxious. You're first post was rude - it was irrelevant and didn't even have the politeness to acknowledge it - that was rude, and worded in a pushy style, and I responded politely but accordingly. (A "by the way...did you know..." would have worked to tone it down.)

Ugh. I obviously hit the nail on the head with my "your about showing off" comment.

I get comments all the time on craigslist, freecycle and forums about how appreciative, and polite, and wonderful I am to deal with. I just don't deal well with people using me to feed their ego in a way that wastes my time and that of anyone reading it. Use you're brains man. If the post is that specific the person has gotten past entry level!!!!

'nugh said. Goodbye. (I won't be responding to anything further. Thank you for letting me know that know of those sites told you anything more than I saw. Maybe during the week someone at Kingston will answer me.)

Collapse -
Answer - they are the same. R stands for retail
by cheriberry / July 24, 2007 2:38 AM PDT

When I reached Kingston on the phone they said sticks are the same, different numbers on them. The N4/1G is their's on their website. The one's ending with R are for Retail.

It's unclear why Newegg would sell the identical stick under two numbers. Their (less than clarifying) answers were:

"Thank you for contacting us. All of the information that we are provided with is what is listed on our website and provided by the manufacturer. In addition, since we do not have a technical department, we sincerely recommend you contact the manufacturer at
800-435-0640 for accurate information."

and

"Thank you for contacting us. We apologize for any confusion this may have caused you. There is no connection between NewEgg.com and the old EggHead Software. In addition, since we do not have a technical department, we do not provide compatibility advice on any of the items we sell. Additionally, we do not offer product recommendations nor offer technical support. You may locate a more detailed item on our website and then contact the manufacturer so that they can further assist you concerning your question regarding the compatibility of a particular item. We deeply apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you."

I have the 1G in my Compaq Presario SR1430NX and it's been working well. The hesitations I'd been seeing are gone, so's the endless whiring of the harddrive to re-access stuff. I had one problem with IE the first night, but not since. (I open tons of windows at the same time which was causing the memory maxing.) That night IE kept freezing/shutting down, but not after I restarted. It felt like the memory was working faster than IE 6.0 could keep up with... The fan's gone on a couple times when it never used to, but only for a short second and only when IE was otherwise having problems.

Collapse -
Dual channel not applicable to this application
by cheriberry / July 24, 2007 3:02 AM PDT

As far as dual channel goes, it's helpful for throughput which matters with gaming and other intensively loading programs. Since I open a bunch of windows over time and flip between them over time, all that's needed for this application is more virtual memory so that the computer didn't have to access the harddrive every time I switched back to an older window. My application isn't throughput intensive, just total memory intensive. The extra 8% boost or so (for 1 stick 1G vs. 2 sticks 512, same speed) isn't very critical for my situation. Maybe in a month or so I'll find something more interesting to do with my computer and buy another stick...but for now...the weather outside is nice, and I'm headed there!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!