Computer Help forum

Resolved Question

Difference in motherboards

by Pokezy / July 23, 2011 2:43 PM PDT

I have gone to HP Compaq site to try and see what the difference is between 2 motherboards. Spec are same same chipset. What is the difference between NodusM GL6 MB and the Nodus M3 GL6? I can not find a answer.

Pokezy has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Difference in motherboards
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Difference in motherboards
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
WAG offered
by Willy / July 23, 2011 11:08 PM PDT

I can't give a definite answer but sometimes its a simple or minor difference yet could be major but difference is small. To explain that is that sometimes it may have fewer ports like USB where its reduced by NOT installing(during manufacture) the header on mtrbd., because for whatever reason it becomes that model. At the same time, that model may progress later offering the added ports. The same could be said of SATA ports, many times in older mtrbds. the actual mounting area is present but missing the physical connection. Later the same mtrnd. is offered with all ports present and ready to include any bios updates required. This is very prominent in OEM offered PC's as the difference from one model is slight from the next to include later offering. Some PC's become obsolete yet replaced by a new model that basically is the same but different in only one area as explained above. Another example would be the older AGP video buss vs. the newer PCIe-16x.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by Pokezy

Collapse -
Motherboard
by Pokezy / July 28, 2011 2:45 PM PDT

HP told me that that I would have a problem if I did not stay in the same MB family.
He was wrong. He said most people call it a "tattoo" problem on the MB. It is on the Hard Drive, and once it catches different hardware, it will not allow you to reinstall the OS. Now, as I have found out, there is a work around for that.

Collapse -
Tattos, SLIC and SLIC 2.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 29, 2011 2:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Motherboard

Yes, we know about that. There are OEM versions of the OS that are locked to some boards.

Is this what this discussion is all about? The OEM Windows License issue?
Bob

Collapse -
OEM ISSUE
by Pokezy / July 29, 2011 9:51 AM PDT

Not at all. I have found a work around for the OEM Windows License issue. The man that has worked on my PC from time to time, told me if I wanted to fix it, I would need a certain MB. I ordered the MB he told me to get. They sent a different MB than I ordered. There was only one different number in it. I came here to see, as you could see, if you bothered to read this Thread, I only wanted to know if any one here could tell me the difference between the 2. No one else on this Board had a problem with understanding what I asked. They would reply, some asked for more info. I gave it to them. It seems to me that you must think you are the only one that is smart enough to answers questions. I say that because if you read what they either told me or asked me, we would not be having this conversation. Thank you for telling me that you would give me time to catch up. That can not happen, I will never know what any of you know.

Collapse -
So we have Code Purple, an OEM install failure
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 29, 2011 10:04 AM PDT
In reply to: OEM ISSUE

And here we are. I'm willing to talk about SLIC, Tattoos and more but that's not going to get around license issues but explain it.

Most folk don't want to know that. They just want it to work.

I bothered to read it all and wanted to go over why this happens. You claimed that you had not found any difference but the one number.

--> Look, I'm on your side here. I'm unsure why you want to take me to task over covering OEM License Death and how this all works.

Remember the board could be IDENTICAL down to the last transistor but if the SLIC/BIOS/Tattoo or EEPROM contents don't match. CODE PURPLE.

Is that what you needed?
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Re: motherboards
by Kees_B Forum moderator / July 23, 2011 8:46 PM PDT

Then it's a question for HP sales. Most likely, they have an office and contact phone where you live. The alternative is asking the sales person in the shop or the support dept via e-mail.

Sales people are supposed to know what they sell. Would you buy something from a company that can't answer a basic question about the product they sell you?

Kees

Collapse -
Mother board
by Pokezy / July 24, 2011 6:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: motherboards

IT is made by ASUS for HP. It is a dual core CPU where my old one was not. The Specs and Pictures are the same. The Nodus PC slots do not line up with slots on PC Case. No problem. My friend that works on PC's wanted me to get a Nodus3. They sent me the wrong one and agreed to replace it. Problem is they are sending the same Nodus MB. It worked until I did a reinstall. Now it will not boot up. I ordered a splitter so I can put the old HD in my PC. They are SATA. Just want to see if D Drive is intact. I can work around the CODE PURPLE I got when I did a reinstall. Tattoo problem. My frien is very sick and I am on my own. The old PC had a dead MB. I was trying to fix it it to give to my Son. He can double the memory with this board. I have the correct dual core CPU. It is new as well. I talked to HP before I did anything. They gave me wrong info. They can not or will not tell me the difference. The Specs are the same. I am a novice, with a chance to learn more. My Son paid for the MB as a present. He did not know I wanted to fix it and give it to him. I was told, he could upgrade to Windows 7 if he wanted.

Collapse -
Motherboard
by Pokezy / July 24, 2011 3:32 PM PDT

Sorry, I live in the Boonie's. No HP sales or any other type with in a 100 miles.

Collapse -
HP Motherboard
by Pokezy / July 25, 2011 3:15 AM PDT

Hey Kees,
Thanks for your reply. I bought this PC from Wal-Mart a few years ago. All of us are not fortunate to live in or around a big city. The closest place for me to take it to HP Service Center is over 100 miles away. Sales people of all kinds sell things they do not know about. When mine went down, I bought another one. HP told me what I needed to fix the old PC as I was going to give it to my Son. They told me wrong. I will never buy another HP product. I am just a novice trying to learn more and be able to give my Son a much better PC than he has. I thought this site was for people to help each other. You can keep your sarcasm to your self when you do not know all the facts. HP via emails did not help at all.

Collapse -
No User Serviceable Parts Inside.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 25, 2011 3:28 AM PDT
In reply to: HP Motherboard

I applaud those that try to repair their own gear but to demand HP to give you these details is often in vain.

Those new to PC repair often flame like you did as they discover how things are today. We understand that and will give you time to catch up.
Bob

Collapse -
Motherboard
by Pokezy / July 25, 2011 7:02 AM PDT

Did not mean to get hot. I wish I still had all the emails from me and HP. I never got the same answer twice. I did get a apology once, but what good is that? Around here, you almost are forced to do what you can on your own. I am 60 years old and this is only my 3rd PC. When I contacted eBay, they said they would talk to the seller. The next day, I got a email from the seller, saying a new MB had been shipped. I got a tracking number today, it said it was at my front door. It was from the seller, a small bottle of bene tint, for Gods' Sake. Over the months, I was told by 2 people that claimed to work for HP, that they would replace the PC because of the CODE PURPLE, even though it was out of warranty. I have pulled what little hair I have left, out. Thanks

Collapse -
Motherboard
by Pokezy / July 26, 2011 3:54 AM PDT

I have gone on many boards about this motherboard. I had the same problem about being given so many answers, but no resolution. One would say do this, another, do that. Same problem with HP Boards and all Geek Boards. When I came across the CNET board, I thought it would be different. Since I have used a PC, I have trusted CNET. It is the only place I download from. I do not understand why the Moderators fight amongst themselves on all Boards. People like me use these Boards to try and get a answer to problems after we have tried every thing else. My self, I am a 60 year old man who has been house bound for the last year. I do things like this to keep my mind sharp. Just saying.

Collapse -
My attempt was not good enough.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 26, 2011 4:00 AM PDT

While I explained why there is no such document on these boards, that was not what you wanted to know or read.

I am only an electronics designer and more. I have dealt with production of many things over the years which gives me some insight on why things are the way they are.

I hear you loud and clear that you are upset that the insides of a no user serviceable ready to use PC is not documented.

Folk here do not have access to HP's inner vaults. We wish we did.
Bob

Collapse -
Motherboards
by Pokezy / July 26, 2011 11:03 AM PDT

No Bob, it went right over your head. There are documents about both boards. I might be wrong, but I thought I mentioned it. All the Specs. on these boards can be found at HP website.I think I mentioned they had pictures as well. That is why I went to their boards first. I got different answers, I mentioned that twp people there claimed to work at HP. They told me that HP would send me a new computer because of the CODE PURPLE. I went there to find out which board of the 2 would be the best for me. They could not tell me the difference either. They would argue amongst themselves as you all do. The Geek Boards I went to was the same thing. All I was trying to say, there are people like me, that need help. I was on downloads.com., noticed they had a board to ask questions. That is all there is to it. If you want, I can send links showing both boards I was looking at. I was only trying to find out the difference. I could not see any, so I came here. I am a nobody. I Worked as a Route Salesman for a milk company until I got sick and have been house bound for the last year. I just try to keep my mind sharp. I get in over my head all the time. It is not about you. Just trying to point something out. I have read other threads here, and it seemed I was not alone in the way I felt. If you don't enjoy doing what you are doing here, I can not help it.

Collapse -
Back to the top.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 26, 2011 11:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Motherboards

Are you revealing you have the documentation and didn't post that along with your question?

It's possible that folk could have used the docs you have to write up a summary of the differences.

We've spent a lot of posts going over the usual but if you want to get down to work, just reply to your top post with the links to the motherboard docs and we'll clean all this up.
Bob

Collapse -
Motherboard
by Pokezy / July 26, 2011 4:14 PM PDT
In reply to: Back to the top.

If you would take the time as to look at my question, you will see I told about 2 boards. I listed names, I said they both had the same Specs I told you I went to HP with no luck. I also said they had the same chip set.Sorry I asked anything. It does not matter any more. Do you just like to put people down, to make yourself look better? Right over your head. I will quit this Board since you are the only one that knows anything.

Collapse -
Re: motherboard
by Kees_B Forum moderator / July 26, 2011 6:26 PM PDT

- If HP doesn't know and it's not in the published specs, how could the average member of a discussion board know?
- What I'm missing in this discussion is WHY you want to know the difference.

Anyway, best of luck with your endeavours.

Kees

Collapse -
Motherboard
by Pokezy / July 28, 2011 2:33 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: motherboard

Why do I want to know the difference. Like I stated to a reply in this thread, the man that did work on my PC told me what to order. I also mention he is very sick. I ordered the MB he suggested, they sent a different one. So, there for I wanted to know whay the difference was between the 2. I did not know why I had to explain any further as to why I wanted to know.

Collapse -
Yes I see you listed names.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 27, 2011 3:23 AM PDT

But what you didn't know is that everyone here might not go hunt down the documents you have in your possession.

Since you have those, why not reply to your top post with links to them so folk can see what's different.

Again, there may be nothing except the firmware on the board but this forum is like you have a flat tire and someone stops to help you change it. You have more tools but you don't share them and the work gets harder.

Make it easy for forum members.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Another WAG
by Steven Haninger / July 24, 2011 12:51 AM PDT

It appears that this might be a MB made by ASUS. I'm fairly certain the "M" refers to on board graphics (media) capability but I can't say specifically what the difference might be.

Collapse -
Answer
I know this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 24, 2011 2:45 AM PDT

These boxed ready to use machines change motherboards according to a simple rule. Which board is cheaper and has the features we published.

Here's where folk get uppity and upset. A recent post has the member spitting flames about the maker not offering support of an internal slot that was not working. The slot was not PCI or such and was not in the machine's specs.

Let me offer the short version. These makers can use boards that had a flaw with say an onboard firewire port because the machine was not sold with firewire in the spec. You can get the boards for a bargain and reap the savings (as the maker.) Later some tech/owner might look inside and spot this. Then the fun begins.
Bob

Collapse -
Motherboards
by Pokezy / July 25, 2011 11:59 AM PDT
In reply to: I know this.

The man that has worked on my computers before told me that he had been repairing PC's for 15 years, and learned something new every time. I was trying to make it as simple as I could. That is why I got a HP Board for a HP Computer. All holes lined up, all internal connections were the same. The difference was a dual core CPU and 2 more memory slots. The IO board was different, it offered more connections. The chip set was the same and the CPU was for that Board. Asus made them for HP. They are smaller so they only fit in that HP case. I don't understand how HP and others, make there PC's so you can not put in a larger HD or MB and the recovery disc will not work. To get it working with out problems, you are forced to buy a OEM OS. Don't seem right.

Collapse -
Half that I can explain.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 25, 2011 2:09 PM PDT

For years I have had ZERO issues with bigger drives. Since about the days of XP SP1 so there is no issue there (here!)

As to the MB that's a fun discussion. We know the Windows OEM License DIES with the motherboard because that's what the license is tied to. We are able to change motherboards willy nilly so what's the limitation here?
Bob

Collapse -
Motherboards
by Pokezy / July 29, 2011 9:38 AM PDT

Since I am a novice, I did not know the OEM License Died with the motherboard. I have never claimed that I knew everything about PC's. I am happy to hear that you all are able to change motherboards willy nilly. I am not. The issue is CODE PURPLE. I am sure you are aware of it. I replaced the MB, it booted one time to the Desk Top. Since I was going to give it to my Son, I did a reinstall of Windows XP PRO, Media Eddition, it would get to the Windows Splash Screen and stop and I got a error message that said CODE PURPLE. Is that the limitation you asked about? If people like me knew every thing that you all know, there would not be a need for a board to go on and ask questions.

Collapse -
This is how most learn about OEM Licenses, death of same.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 29, 2011 9:45 AM PDT
Collapse -
Motherboards.
by Pokezy / July 30, 2011 7:56 AM PDT

All I have is the recover disc that I made when I bought the PC. It is XP Pro. I have been to that link months ago. I have read what the moderator on HP Boards. I have not been able to get HP to help me with that problem. That is why I started going to different boards. HP did tell me, before I got a new MB, that as long as it had the same chip set, I would not have any problems. If I had known this was going to be such a problem, I never would have tried to fix my old PC. If I knew the man that has worked on my PC was not going to be able to work on it, I would not have tried to fix it. I am out for a new MB and a new dual core CPU. If you would like to see the specs on the old one, it is SR2023WM. It came with a single core CPU. I could not use a dual core in it. Both MB's that I have now, can use both. After I lost my brother, and I am the only one left in my family, I wanted to convert my VHS tapes to a CD to give to his children. Since my MB died, I thought I would upgrade it to make it easy to do the conversion. That is how this all started. I now a quad corePC, so I thought I would fix the old one and give to my Son. Please do not assume I understand every thing you all tell me, because as I have Said mant times, I am nothing but a novice, who wants to keep my mind sharp, since I have been house bound for the past year.

Collapse -
"as long as it had the same chip set, I would not have any p
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 30, 2011 9:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Motherboards.

"as long as it had the same chip set, I would not have any problems"

That's sad to read. It's not a chipset issue and the person who said/wrote that needs a piece of your mind.

Again, it's not a chipset issue.
Bob

Collapse -
Chip Set
by Pokezy / July 31, 2011 5:56 AM PDT

Yes, I now know that it is not a chip set problem. I have never asked any one here about a work around for CODE PURPLE. I do not care what Microsoft wants. I have stated many times that I have found a work around for CODE PURPLE. I was passing on to you what I was told by HP about chip sets. I have been told by many people that all I had to do is buy a OEM disc for XP. I will not spend more money that I do not have.

Collapse -
Now that we know it's not a chipset or board issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 31, 2011 6:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Chip Set

I take it that you found out all you needed to know?

Collapse -
Chip set
by Pokezy / July 31, 2011 8:38 AM PDT

I will never know all I need to know when it comes to Computers. I will give it one more try, once I see what is still on the old hard drive. Thank you for your help.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?