Storage forum

Question

Difference in Flash Drives?

by Junk849 / November 25, 2011 2:36 AM PST

Is there a difference in flash drives? In terms of quality and reliability, is there a difference?
It seems that some are temper mental - you think you save something on the drive and then go and pop it into another computer and it's not there.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Difference in Flash Drives?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Difference in Flash Drives?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
USB Flash Drives?
by KenHusveg / November 25, 2011 3:19 AM PST

Any USB Flash Drive can fail, you get what you pay for.

Collapse -
That's helpful..., but not really.
by Junk849 / November 25, 2011 11:20 PM PST
In reply to: USB Flash Drives?

Are you saying if I pay $89 for a thumb drive it's better than the $20 thumb drive just because it cost more? That's the whole reason I posted the question in the first place.
I haven't seen any reviews on thumb drives, except from retail outlets that wanted to sell them.

Collapse -
I am afraid
by richteral / December 2, 2011 9:37 PM PST

KenHusveg is, more or less, right. USB sticks are generally cheap, and they do fail over time. So that would cover that.

Collapse -
and my reason for the SD card is...
by ahtoi / December 3, 2011 1:17 AM PST
In reply to: I am afraid

I use it in my camera as well.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Did you eject the drive?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 25, 2011 3:22 AM PST

If not, it may not be there.

I think I lose something on these 1 time in many thousand times. Maybe once in 2 years. This may explain why some take the chance and "store" stuff with no backup on such drives.
Bob

Collapse -
Ejecting the drive...,
by Junk849 / November 25, 2011 11:23 PM PST

Thanks for the response. I do try to eject the drive before I remove it. However, there are times that I get a response that the "drive is still in use" although the file has been closed. I've found the only way to get around this is if, while in the same program, I open a file from my hard drive and I guess that frees up the memory?

Collapse -
I'll have to try that next time.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 27, 2011 1:00 AM PST
In reply to: Ejecting the drive...,

My method has been to log off and possibly shut down.

Collapse -
Not much of a convenience
by Junk849 / November 27, 2011 4:21 AM PST

Thanks for the reply. That would probably work, but it's kind of defeating the convenience factor.

Collapse -
This is how I usually do it when...
by ahtoi / November 27, 2011 4:42 PM PST

"still in use" dialog comes up; I press "ok" then press "stop" operation again. It usually work 85% of the time. The other 15% I do it three time, and if that doesn't work then I would do what Bob suggested...log off/shutdown.

Collapse -
This is how...,
by Junk849 / November 27, 2011 9:54 PM PST

Thanks. I guess that's the best answer. I still would like to know if there are any thumb drives better than others and if I could really tell the difference.

Collapse -
Not sure if there is one better than other;
by ahtoi / November 28, 2011 6:33 AM PST
In reply to: This is how...,

I normally just go with the well known company like kingston, pny, etc.

Collapse -
I like the Lexars with the LCD "gas gauge."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 28, 2011 6:36 AM PST
In reply to: This is how...,

They seem pretty quick and not very expensive.

Collapse -
Lexars
by Junk849 / November 28, 2011 8:21 AM PST

Thanks! I'll try it.

Collapse -
ejecting USB Thumb Drives
by andy_the_CIRCUIT_RIDER / December 2, 2011 11:31 AM PST

I guess that I have been lucky. I try twice to eject, make sure the drive shows the files. then simply unplug it. For the past 5 years, I have never lost anything. My main use is to carry files and programs from my main home office to various places that I work.

My preference is SanDisk 8 Gig drives. Every now and then I 'catch them on sale at Office Max and I generally get a $10 off on $20 purchase every month or two so they are really inexpensive.

Andy Seitz - the CIRCUIT RIDER

Collapse -
Thumb drive
by Junk849 / December 2, 2011 10:10 PM PST

Thanks Andy! That's exactly what I was looking for. Sounds like my issue may be more "pilot error" than anything else. I've never seen reviews on them and didn't know if I should be paying more - or if there's a difference.

Thanks again.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?