PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Difference between SDRAM and DDRRAM

i a thinking of upgrading my SD-RAM to DDR-RAM. my motherboard manual says it supports SD-RAM and DDR-RAM. how do i differ SD-RAM from DDR-RAM? do they use the same memory slots on the motherboard?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Difference between SDRAM and DDRRAM
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Difference between SDRAM and DDRRAM
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It is SDRAM and DDR-SDRAM

In reply to: Difference between SDRAM and DDRRAM

You can differ them, first by color, then the one with less dots in the slot is the sdram usually with 2 areas without holes and the one with only the interruption in the middle of the holes is the ddr-sdram.
Roger

Collapse -
sdram timing

i have two sticks of 256mb pc133 sdram but i can't seem to get them to run at 133mhz. When i set them at 133mhz thru the bios, the system keeps on crashing. When i run them at 100mhz, the system works normally. One stick is Kingston 2MX64PC133CL3 168P and the other is Apacer Tech. (256 MB PC133 SDRAM). The timing for the Kingston one at 133mhz is 3.0-3-3-6 and the Apacer one is 2.0-2-2-6. Is the ram timing the source of this problem?

Collapse -
Winging it.

In reply to: sdram timing

I'm thinking what your playing with is the master clock.

If you set this to 100MHZ does your cpu speed show correct?

Collapse -
cpu speed

In reply to: Winging it.

where to i find out the cpu speed?

Collapse -
cpu speed

In reply to: cpu speed

Here's what i've found out using CPU-Z. Here are the list of clocks:
Core speed - 1999.9MHz
Multiplier - x20.0
FSB - 100MHz
Bus speed - 400MHz

How do i solve the RAM problem from here?

Collapse -
What settings for RAM timing are

you using in the BIOS???

Set them to the lowest possible conservative setting, due to the fact that the capability of the two sticks is so different.

First though, I would try each stick by itself with the BIOS setting for "by SPD". That way the specific timing for that stick is provided to the BIOS from the chip on the memory stick. If one runs at 133 and the other doesn't you have some info to use for further troubleshooting.

Collapse -
CPU ID.

Look through the output of cpu-z see if it says something like.

AMD 'something'
INTEL 'something'

or look in the bios for a hint or maybe the post screens or some paperwork you have.

Once the make and model is determined then we can see if this 100MHZ is proper.

Put the ram speed on the back burner for a short period.

Collapse -
The SDRAM is 168 pins while

DDR SDRAM is 184 pins. No way to mix them up, unless you try to hammer them in and destroy the mobo.

Collapse -
Your motherboard manual

In reply to: The SDRAM is 168 pins while

has most(if not all) of this info. Also-1.That you can only use one or the other, not both. 2.Which slots to use in each configuration, etc. I was thinking about what Ray suggested, try each stick seperately and see where you stand. chuck

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.