PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Difference between AGP versions (4x, 8x,...etc)

by Haisook / July 17, 2006 1:18 AM PDT

I bought an AGP (8x) - compatible video card yesterday. I have two questions:

1. I know my motherboard back home is AGP-compatible, but I don't know if it's 4x or 8x.. is there a difference? will this video card work with any AGP motherboard

2. The video card is 256mb. Also how can I know my motherboard will support it? or will it readily work?

I'd appreciate your help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Difference between AGP versions (4x, 8x,...etc)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Difference between AGP versions (4x, 8x,...etc)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Forgot to say that...
by Haisook / July 17, 2006 1:27 AM PDT

I bought my PC in mid 2003. Shouldn't the motherboard inherently be AGP 8x compatible?

Don't know if this might help.

Collapse -
Just knew that it's 4x :(
by Haisook / July 17, 2006 1:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Forgot to say that...
Collapse -
Seems you have a history on this one.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 17, 2006 2:25 AM PDT

I see you have dozens(?) of posts about monitors and maybe cards but let me make this answer direct.

1. There is not a AGP card made that is 8X and does not work in a 4X slot.

2. That 1.5V is a misread of the document. No where does AGP slots "supply" 1.5V but it is true that the AGP card can request 1.5V. There is a subtle difference.

Bob

Collapse -
Yeah, I have had dozens..
by Haisook / July 17, 2006 2:33 AM PDT

..of threads on that, but finally, I've actually bought the stuff!

Thank you for your reply. I've gotten it even confirmed via nVidia's official site:

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/nvidia.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=72&p_created=1097182603&p_sid=LUP8XLci&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MjMmcF9wcm9kcz0wJnBfY2F0cz0wJnBfcHY9JnBfY3Y9JnBfc2VhcmNoX3R5cGU9YW5zd2Vycy5zZWFyY2hfZm5sJnBfcGFnZT0xJnBfc2VhcmNoX3RleHQ9YWdwIDh4IDEuNXY*&p_li=&p_topview=1

Now I wonder if it's a wise thing to go back to the store and get a 4x card? Are they available these days? Shouldn't they be cheaper?

Thanks.

Collapse -
That's unlikely. Here's why.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 17, 2006 2:40 AM PDT

It makes no market sense to design a 4X only card. That is, your 8X (that works in the 4X slot) will likely be just hunkey dorey and if you found a 4X of the same stature (unlikely) it would also likely underperform your new card since it's from a bygone design day.

And again on the LCD. Yup, even a CRT can ghost. It's normal and drives some gamers and new owners nuts.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:.....
by Haisook / July 17, 2006 4:12 AM PDT

Thank you.. now I don't need to worry about my new vid card. It's always shocking to know that your just-bought thing won't work, you know.

As to the ghosting, I don't feel it in games and vidoes as much as I do when scrolling, but it seems I've got used to it a little bit.

What's driving me crazy now is the contrast issue. The upper portion of the screen is somewhat obviously darker. Whatever position I set the monitor to, it doesn't go away. It only becomes normal when I raise my head and look at that portion dead straight. If that's because of its 140-degree viewing angle, it sucks.

I wonder if DVI would affect the viewing angles? I don't mean widening them, but making display parts within them kind of more identical. I assume it's a pure mechanical thing, so I'm not sure.

Collapse -
DVI will not affect viewing angle.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 17, 2006 6:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Re:.....

That's an easy one. Thanks for that.

You are noticing a display "quality" issue. Some are better than others in this respect but the price tends to go up.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?