Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Difference Between 32 bit & 64 bit??

by joby866 / August 14, 2007 6:41 PM PDT

What's the Difference Between 32 bit & 64 bit Windows Vista??

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Difference Between 32 bit & 64 bit??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Difference Between 32 bit & 64 bit??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A good portion of the code...
by John.Wilkinson / August 15, 2007 6:54 AM PDT

To the end user there are a few major differences you'll notice:
1.) Required to have a 64-bit processor.
2.) Capable of running 64-bit software.
3.) Must install 64-bit compatible security software.
4.) Limited selection of drivers, particularly for older hardware.
5.) Limited to the installation of signed drivers.
6.) Does not possess the 4GB RAM limitation of its 32-it counterparts.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
A+ Essentials
by charlencia / September 6, 2009 11:37 PM PDT

What is the difference between Windows XP 32-bit Vs 64-bit
What is the difference between Windows Vista 32-bit Vs 64-bit

Collapse -
I remember that question.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 6, 2009 11:52 PM PDT
In reply to: A+ Essentials

Isn't that part of the A+ Exam?

Collapse -
Difference Between 32 bit & 64 bit
by kane253 / January 15, 2010 8:09 PM PST
In reply to: A+ Essentials

Some older software versions will not work with 64-bit version of Vista. However, most software will. If you don't have specific 64bit versions of a program they will just install in "Program Files (x86)" instead of "Program Files"

64 bit can run more than 4GB of ram. 32 can only run 4 gb, but im sure thats enough. the real difference is, 64 bit sends 64bits of data to the processor at once instead of 32. ive used both 64 bit and 32 bit and i dont see very much of a difference. but i think theres some programs that only work for 64 bit, not sure what ones tho. im fine with 32.

Collapse -
hey
by dudeofdahouse / August 15, 2007 4:29 PM PDT

the main diffrence is if your CPU is 64 bit capble.
applications and windows will work much faster then 32 bit.

main problems is not all applications are 64bit capble.
dont get 64 bit on vista you will have problem after problem to run drivers and software.

Collapse -
hey, not true
by kjdinoc / August 18, 2007 3:57 AM PDT
In reply to: hey

I purchased a new HP Laptop preloaded with 64 Bit Ultimate on it. I've only run into one thing that doesn't work and that is ITunes not being able to activate and sync with IPhone.

I run all sorts of software old and new on my machine and it all works beautifully.

Collapse -
It wont work
by coasterfanryan / August 18, 2007 4:35 AM PDT
In reply to: hey, not true
Collapse -
iTunes will work with 64 bit Windows
by tdhmtutsrup / January 17, 2010 11:54 AM PST
In reply to: It wont work

I believe that it was just released with the version 9 of iTunes

Collapse -
There's been a 64-bit iTunes
by Jimmy Greystone / January 17, 2010 10:17 PM PST

There's been a 64-bit iTunes since at least version 8, possibly earlier. There isn't any real particular need for it being 64-bit, but on its own platform Apple has been steadily marching towards a 64-bit only setup for a good while now. So, why not make the Windows port 64-bit too? Odds are pretty good Windows 7 will be one of, if not the, last 32-bit releases of Windows. Vista really should have been the last, but that's another topic.

Collapse -
Running older Software
by TyBuchanan / August 5, 2010 4:03 PM PDT

Hi,

The 64bit is useless for me. I run 32bit Paint Shop Pro 8 for XP on Vista, an excellent program - the new version is rubbish, keeps locking up.

Hypersnap is good too - driver not signed
SpywareBlaster - not signed
Tweak windows - not signed
Switch - not signed
Xplorer2 - not signed

The list goes on.

Collapse -
windows7
by neilwick / November 20, 2009 5:52 AM PST
In reply to: hey

As a home user which version of Windows7 ultimate shoud I install ? 64 bit or 32 bit. what are the advantage and disadvantage of 32 vs 64

Collapse -
Vista 64
by zanadu128 / August 18, 2007 6:35 AM PDT

I have an HP Pavilion Laptop with an AMD 64 bit processor, and 1.5 gigs of ram. I originally switched from Windows Media Center to Vista 32 bit and then 64 bit. Vista 32 bit ran great and then I made the change to 64 bit. I was thinking that 64 bit would be a ton faster and in some circumstances it is. However, I had only 1 gig of ram and my system would barely run, even with many of the systray features turned off. I have recently added another 512 megs of ram and it has made a dramatic difference. I would recommend that you have at least 1.5 gigs of ram and more would be ideal. I still have no sound because drivers have not been made. No modem drivers either, which is ok. However, I have had a long running conversation via email with HP on this issue and I have pretty much given up hope of ever seeing a driver.

Overall the system is stable but I have found it to be terribly slow, even with routine maintenance. I would most likely fault the slowness on the limited ram. If you decide to try 64 make sure you can get drivers for the 64 bit os before you install. I installed 64 bit shorlty after it came out and found out the hard way on finding device drivers that will work.

Hope that helps some.

From N. Michigan

Collapse -
64bit pr 32bit
by Laserlight30 / August 24, 2007 2:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Vista 64

It depends on the avilability of 64bit exucutible programs in the near future, of course having 64 bit now still has its benifits but at the moment not many programs have that ability.
I am myself trying to make my mind up about 64bit computing, but its slowly tipping to 32 bit computing for me. i will need to see more evedence of its improvments, i have to admit 64 bit computing is the future for all pc's (just imagine in 10 years still using 32bit).
I use my pc for many things such as games, Programming, editing, and much more, i do not know if 64bit will change my computers performance.
I have seen many times before beleaving that a faster CPU will change gaming performance, NO! it will not have a massive effect, Duh?? you need a CPU fast ennough to process it but after that you cannot change anything, 70% of gaming performance is proccesed through the GPU or graphics proccessing unit (Graphics card).
64 bit will allow upto 16gb of ram and yes thats huge compared to 4gb for 32bit, however What pc no (except servers etc.) can support that, actually how many people have 4gb installed on there motherboard? not many if you ask me. i know my freind has a 64bit pc and to be frank, he said there was almost no diffrence except the price.
I do not have a huge powerful pc so i have to put up with average performance, so What i want to know is will it make diffrence to me having the ability to have 64bit?

If you want to know my pc's spec here it is:

3.4ghz intel celron (64bit edition)
512mb ddr 400mhz ram
one 80gb HD for windows and apps
one 40gb HD for backup and paging file
one 80gb sata HD for my games
AGP nvidia 5500 256mb graphics card with 370mhz ram (390 overclocked)
and a P5P3-VM motherboard.

Will 64bit computing make a diffrence????????

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?