Cameras forum

General discussion

difference b/w Canon PowerShot SD950 IS and sd 870 ID please

by shaarii / September 27, 2007 5:06 PM PDT

Hi,

I saw that canon launched 3 new cameras recently, and I would like to know the differences before buying. I'm excited since it seems like these new ones offer manual options.

But are the price differences and upgrades really just because of the amount of megapixels or are there other genuine differences you see in camera quality and other options?

Oh and any other recommendation from nikon or other companies would be appreciated. I really like having manual options but I am not a prosumer yet.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: difference b/w Canon PowerShot SD950 IS and sd 870 ID please
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: difference b/w Canon PowerShot SD950 IS and sd 870 ID please
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Canon SD870IS - SD950IS
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / September 28, 2007 12:41 AM PDT

There are several differences.
The SD950IS has 12 megapixels as opposed to 8
It has a stronger flash
It has more video options
It has a viewfinder

The SD870IS has a 3inch LCD as opposed to 2.5

Neither camera has manual controls.
Manual controls are:
Shutter Priority
Aperture Priority
Program AE
Full Manual

They do have several settings you can change, as do just about all digital cameras.

For an ultra compact camera with manual controls.....check out the Casio V8.

Here is a comparison of the three cameras:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp?method=sidebyside&cameras=canon_sd870is%2Ccanon_sd950is%2Ccasio_exv8&show=all

Collapse -
thank you
by shaarii / September 28, 2007 4:34 PM PDT

just the information i needed. i must've mistaken about the manual controls in the new canon line. bummer. i will definitely check out the casio rec!!

thank you so so much.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!