The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Diesel and Biofuels

by bozeman / April 21, 2006 1:37 AM PDT

Hey Earthday tomorrow, good topic...

Molly and Veronica briefly mentioned this like it was new, but maybe I just misheard, but they certainly have hit upon something I have been researching alot. I own a VW, and all their cars in Europe apparently come in diesel if you want. I get 1300/Km (that's about 800miles for our Imperial friends) a tank with my car but when it gets really old I want to convert it to run on alternate fuels. So quickly here:

Good clip about Mr Rudolf Diesel:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudolf_Diesel

He actually invented the diesel engine to run on vegetable fuel or coal powder, but mysteriously died and then the engine was really modified to use petroleum based diesel. But lots of people have converted their cars (lots of VW's!) to run on stuff.

I have a few friends that have converted their vehicles to run on grease. Most fast food places are happy to give you their leftover grease and it is easy to filter it and use it in your car. For me being a little more up north in Canada, we have to make sure it is well heated first, so start in diesel, end in diesel and the middle for grease. Great for long trips.

Anyways, interesting topic for myself. If you want to run your car on really, really cheap fuel, look into it sometime.

http://www.greasecar.com

http://greasel.com/

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Diesel and Biofuels
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Diesel and Biofuels
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Diesel and Biofuels
by avivhill / April 21, 2006 2:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Diesel and Biofuels

Dude that is so cool. I read on Dvorak blog about a scientist that has made a mixer that combines alcohol and oil (I believe vegetable oil) and got a Bio-Diesel. This prototype mixer is the size of a credit card. This would be huge for farmers of america because they have the highest demand for diesel.

About have way down on the below page:
http://www.dvorak.com/blog

Collapse -
Cool
by bozeman / April 21, 2006 6:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Diesel and Biofuels

Thanks, I'll go check the link!

As for all this stuff, it is actually quite easy. They actually do sell this stuff and I remember a mashup made for finding it. I'll search for it and paste the link while I finish this message.

http://www.platial.com/system/map/1711

try that, if not go to the main page and click on it

If you do it yourself, basically you go one of two ways. Heat it, or thin it out somehow. It just needs to be less viscous somehow. So heating it is good, or mixing it with thinners.

Collapse -
Be Careful
by friaf1111 / April 21, 2006 7:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Cool

I know a little about biodiesel and have had an interest in it for some time now. It's important to remember that there is a difference between vegetable oil and biodiesel. Oil is prone to solidify where biodiesel won't at normal temperatures. You can run on both, but biodiesel is the way to go. However, biodiesel is extremely expensive because it takes alot of processing. I checked on it once and it cost about $10.00 a gallon if bought by the drum. If it is was more commonly used, it could come down in price. You can make your own biodiesel from left over grease, but you need to know some chemistry and invest a little bit of money to do it right. It's similar to when people use to make their own soap out of lard. If you do it wrong and don't get all of the sodium hydroxide out of it before using it, you can foul up your engine badly.

Biodiesel's best promise for now is to be used as an additive to regular, low sulfer diesel because it is an excellent lubricant. Sulfer is a major pollutant of diesel, but is also a lubricant.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?