Phones forum

General discussion

Did you get scammed by Wirefly?

by shellycoffman / January 23, 2006 5:09 AM PST

We are investigating Inphonic's failure to honor rebates submitted. If you believe you have been harmed by this practice please contact me at www.dmlaws.com and fill out a complaint form.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Did you get scammed by Wirefly?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Did you get scammed by Wirefly?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
File a compliant with the Federal Trade Commission
by bkderm / January 24, 2006 5:19 AM PST

I filed a complaint with the FTC. See below for their response. While they do not act on one complaint and do not resolve individual issues, they will act if they get MANY complaints. So, if everyone will file a complaint they will see a pattern and may then investigate!

January 24, 2006

Benjamin Kelly
606-A Timm Valley Road
Atlanta, GA 30305
Re: FTC Ref. No. 7516349

Dear Benjamin Kelly:

Thank you for your correspondence to the Federal Trade Commission regarding rebates offered by companies. Rebate offers and coupons are, among other things, a form of price competition. While some manufacturers or sellers may conclude that simple price discounts will attract customers, others may believe that a rebate or coupon program will be a more effective means of advertising substantial savings to consumers. In general, no statute enforced by the Commission addresses the decision to adopt a rebate or coupon program. Thus, promoters of rebate or coupon plans use their independent business judgment in offering such plans to distributors or to the public. However, if a company decides to offer a rebate or coupon plan, it must fully disclose the material terms and conditions of the offer and must provide the promised rebate. If a company systematically fails to do so, it may be engaging in deceptive or unfair practices in violation of Section 5 of the Federal Trade Commission Act.

Finally, you may wish to raise your concerns with the manufacturers or companies who offer rebates or coupons, since many companies appreciate comments from the public about their products and how they are marketed. You should also note that many companies hire independent companies to administer their rebate or coupon programs and are eager to hear about their performance.

The Federal Trade Commission acts in the public interest to stop business practices that violate the laws it enforces. Letters from consumers and businesses are very important to the work of the Commission. They are often the first indication of a problem in the marketplace and may provide the initial evidence to begin an investigation. The Commission does not resolve individual complaints. The Commission does, however, act when it sees a pattern of possible violations developing. The decision to open up an investigative action depends on how widespread the practice is, how many consumers are hurt, how much harm is done, and how much evidence we have. We must also determine how much staff time and effort we can put into each case, and we must concentrate on the most urgent.

We appreciate your taking the time to write. We hope the above information has been useful to your situation.

Sincerely yours,

Consumer Response Center

Collapse -
This has been resolved
by ddennis-from-wirefly / January 25, 2006 6:31 AM PST

Hi Ben,
we already contacted you last week to let you know that your checks were being processed. As I told you in my email, our rebate processing vendor did make a mistake in your case and miscalculated your due date.

That's why I personally followed up with you to let you know, and to apologize.

If you still feel that we haven't upheld our part of the deal, even though we corrected the mistake, then please reply to my earlier email directly.

thanks, Doreen

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!