General discussion

Did someone hack me?

Have wireless laptop with Vista. Suddenly seeing lots games pinned to start menu. I haven't used them in months! How/what could cause them to be appearing?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Did someone hack me?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Did someone hack me?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Anyone else?

Your post is so light on details so only general replies can be offered; eg;

Anyone else using this machine?

What games?

Mark

- Collapse -
No one else

No one else uses it. Games Bejeweled, Ink Ball, Free Cell, Chess Titans, Mahjong Titans, Minesweeper, Solitaire . . looks like those that come free with pc

- Collapse -
I tend to agree with Jimmy

Except for Bejeweled, those games are all available in Vista. It might be that Mahjong Titans and Chess Titans came from Vista's optional extra updates. I can't remember now whether I had those pre-installed on my Vista or selected them as "Extras" from Windows Updates.

Try this. Goto Start > All programs > Accessories > Extras and upgrades. Do you have any options there for extras? If so, perhaps you downloaded some additional games?

Mark

- Collapse -
Let's think about this

Let's think about this for a second.

Say you are a hacker, and you go to all the trouble of breaking into someone's computer. Are you going to go to all that effort just to play a few free games that you could have gotten from your own computer?

More likely than someone hacking into your system, is you installed some update from the computer vendor or something along those lines, and that is what put the games into the start menu.

- Collapse -
logic

HA! Nothing like logic. Thanks, you are probably right.
Thanks too for taking the time to put my over-reactive mind to rest.

CNET Forums

Forum Info