Question

did i fry my hdd or the ata to usb adapter?

Okay, I have a working pc and a broken laptop (power source) plus another laptop hdd.
The two laptop hdd's are the same brand, one 60 and the other 80 GB. I purchased two kits (3 in 1 IDE/ATA/SATA to USB 2.0). I initially was able to plug them both in and see them on my screen before I mounted them inside the tower.
My main goal was to recover data from my laptop hdd and use both of the hdd's as extra storage. When I got everything mounted I was able to transfer the data I wanted from my 60gb to my computer's hdd (I wanted to format the hdd). I did not, however see the 80 gb show back up. Once the data was transferred and the 60 gb was formatted I tried to fiddle with the 80 gb to see why it wasn't working.
This is when a series of amateur mistakes began to for leaving me clueless as to what the problem was.
1. Yes, I did unplug the adapters and swap them while the CPU was on (don't lecture me). After that, nothing happened and I realized I did something dumb, so I shut down and restarted my system.
2. After restarting and receiving no recognition on either drive I unplugged and replugged the 80 gb at which point my computer said something along the lines of "power surge on something port" and shut down with no hopes of repowering itself. I then unhooked everything from the MoBo and reconnected leaving the two hdds unhooked.
3. I noticed while my cpu was rebooting that i had a pin hole in the blank spot on the 39 pin ata adapter, meaning that I plugged it in a slot to the left or right, which (due to trial and error) is what caused the surge. I didn't do this originally cause I could plainly see where I was plugging it in. Then I noticed that the other was the same. I must have plugged it in the wrong spot when I switched them after transferring the data.
So now both adapters were hooked into both hdd's wrong at some point with the pc on.

without poking fun and telling me what I did wrong (cause I already know and would appreciate less sarcasm and more information)
did i.....
fry my hdd's by having the ata pins in the wrong spot?
fry my adapters?
fry both?
(also, i took the casing off the adapters and saw no signs of burning on the chips, if that helps)
testing the adapters on something else ata would help, but I don't have anything, also testing the ide or sata side wouldn't help because that's not where the issue was.

Sorry this is so detailed, but i might help from so much back and forth. and no, I did not force the adapters on, the plastic is soft and the pins were sharp so they just slid right on through the gap.

thanks!
Daniel

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: did i fry my hdd or the ata to usb adapter?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: did i fry my hdd or the ata to usb adapter?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments

CNET Forums