Laptops forum

General discussion

did I choose the right one? toshiba vs. HP

So I bought a new laptop this past weekend, the Thoshiba Satellite a505 s6005 (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Toshiba+-+Satellite+Laptop+with+Intel%26%23174;+Core%26%23153;+i3+Processor+-+Quantum+Black/9703393.p?id=1218153394199&skuId=9703393).

I spent a while researching laptops, finally got sick of it, went to Best Buy for the 2nd time, and just asked every employee I could find to make a recommendation (I have problem with decisions... obviously). After comparing what was in the store, and passing over a similar Sony that was more expensive, I settled on that one.

The first time I'd gone to Best Buy, one employee had recommended the HP Pavillion dv7-3165dx (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+Pavilion+Laptop+with+AMD+Turion%26%23153;+II+Ultra+Dual-Core+Mobile+Processor+-+Espresso+Black/9700814.p?id=1218152462714&skuId=9700814). This was no longer in the store when I went back and can now only be found online.

Should I have bought the HP online instead? It looks like (as I can see from my limited computer knowledge and google search) I can get a bigger screen, a slightly better graphics card, blu-ray player, and a faster hard disc with a slower (?) processor and less battery life for $100 more. Do the pros outweigh the cons enough to bother returning the one I got and getting this one online? I should note that I've never been one to buy DVDs and I don't have any Blu-ray, and I'm not interested in gaming or any high end graphics stuff (it takes too much money and energy to keep up with it for me).

Just wanted to get a few opinions from people who were hopefully more knowledgeable than myself.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: did I choose the right one? toshiba vs. HP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: did I choose the right one? toshiba vs. HP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Nice choice.

In reply to: did I choose the right one? toshiba vs. HP

It has the nice i3 CPU, a not too large 16 inch screen which lets it be a laptop and not an anchor.

Windows 7 is 64 bit.

What's not to like?
Bob

Collapse -
Sorry, the page you requested was not found.

In reply to: oops

To save such trouble, the simple post with make and model is usually enough. I think you made a fine choice of a very usable machine that is not going to burden you if you decide to go mobile.
Bob

Collapse -
You picked the right one! =)

In reply to: did I choose the right one? toshiba vs. HP

I would have picked the Toshiba also...and I'm an IT Consultant!

The Toshiba has three key advantages over that particular HP model-

Performance- The Toshiba has an Intel Core i3 processor while the HP has an AMD Turion processor. The Toshiba also supports faster, more efficient DDR3-1066 RAM vs. older DDR2-800 in the HP. The Toshiba blows away the HP when multi-tasking!

Battery Life- AMD-based systems are far less energy efficient than the newest Intel-based models, no question. The HP dv7-3165dx has an 8-cell battery good for 2:58 in Cnet's review. A Toshiba A505 similar to yours (but with a dedicated graphics card that uses more power than your Intel integrated graphics) lasted 4:28 on the same 12-cell that you have. It's not unreasonable to estimate that your system could hit the 5:00 mark!

Heat- Another problem with AMD-based systems is that they tend to generate a lot of heat! I've never used an HP laptop with AMD processor that didn't get uncomfortably HOT on the palm rests, touchpad and/or keyboard! The fans tend to run constantly (the noise is very annoying) so they're HOT and LOUD! Intel systems are cool and quiet in comparison!

As my grandfather used to say- "Ya did good!" =)

Collapse -
thanks

In reply to: You picked the right one! =)

thanks, lol, this eases any buyer's remorse a great deal. I have got to stop second guessing every purchase over 30 bucks...

Collapse -
It's better not to ask after you made the purchase.

In reply to: thanks

But i agree with the other I would go Intel over AMD any day of the week.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.