Mac OS forum

General discussion

Did anyone get a new Mac for the holidays?

Is it your first one?

What do you think?

grim

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Did anyone get a new Mac for the holidays?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Did anyone get a new Mac for the holidays?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
MacBook

In reply to: Did anyone get a new Mac for the holidays?

I got the loan of a 2Ghz, Core 2 Duo, to set up for a customer who does not need it until February. It's going to be difficult to part with it. Even at 13.3, the screen looks big, (wide aspect does that I guess) and the whole thing seems solidly built.
I installed Parallels and XP Home (Not my choice) last night without any problems at all. It's kinda scary to see Windows running in one window and the real thing running in the background. Speed has yet to be determined.

Sad part? It has to go back to it's owner!

P

Collapse -
yes!

Yes! I did. I got a 1.83GHz Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook. I've used Windows for my entire "computing" career (about ten years), but the advertisements convinced me and I'm really loving it. I had a couple of quirky experiences with it [PhotoBooth just completely locking up..."Force Quit" wouldn't even save it...had to reboot...and a couple other oddities] but for the most part I'm really getting used to it and LOVE it. It's definitely a lot better than my clunky PC that was literally holding together with Gorilla glue and Scotch tape! Happy

Collapse -
(NT) Congrats Isiaha!

In reply to: yes!

Collapse -
new mac for xmas

Yes! I got an IMAC 20" dual core 2.16 2gb ddr2 sdram...had to send the first one back...it locked up, couldn't even turn it on...but I finally got my $2000.00 beauty......I LOVE it! It is so great to look at with its clean lines . But I don't understand alot of the programs..and MAC 101 is confusing also(it assumes that I know things that I don't know)...Still and all, I'm glad I switched.

Collapse -
You said: "Don't understand a lot of the programs..."

In reply to: new mac for xmas

Like what? There are lots of resources around to help... like here...

Collapse -
new mac for xmas

In reply to: You said: "Don't understand a lot of the programs..."

Hey aboya84..did you ever get my message about problems replying to your question?..here is screen shot

Collapse -
Sorry - I did not...

I even went through my spam messages and trash... Use the CNET "send email" link at my profile along with your email, and I will reply - then you can send that screen shot... I will make every effort to be timely in my replies - but my normal day gig might get in the way.

Collapse -
uh... one more time with feeling...

I got your email, but since your address is not in your profile, I cannot reply directly to you and enclosures and graphics are not allowed in CNET mail so I cannot see the screen shot. Even without the screen shot, I did get the "spirit" of your message, and copy it here so others can provide input:

+++++

here is screen shot ..now I've gone and done some thing much much worse ..erased script scoll in terminal by accident..have post in Coding and scriptong asking for emergancy help..here is screen shot I
hope...thanks will wait for reply after your day job..i've been up all night and now have to work also..

+++++

Since I can't see the screen shot, I can't comment on what might be causing the original problem. I hope others would chime in here, but my suggestion would *likely* be to re-install the OS from the discs that came with the machine when you bought it and get it back to square one. I say "likely" because doing this blind, via remote control, is always a challenge... So until additional information can be successfully shared, doing nothing would be a good idea.

Also, I don't know where you are located - but if an Apple store is nearby, a visit there with the machine would be in order. If that is not do-able, a local Mac User Group <http://www.apple.com/usergroups> or if there is a nearby university or college with a willing/able student/IT support infrastructure may be able to provide the tech support needed to get your machine to where it needs to be...

Collapse -
I'll chime in here and second your suggestion

In reply to: uh... one more time with feeling...

This is a brand new machine which should have functioned perfectly straight out of the box. Apparently it did not but was replaced with one that did.
What worries me is that this poster appears to have been trying to do some "under the hood" tweaking or was just looking for the Registry.
I note the first comment about not understanding some of the programs very well. "I'm glad I switched" would indicate that the user was trying to do "PC" things to this Mac.

Best thing now is to drag out the trusty installation/restore disks that came with the machine, boot it up from the 1st CD and Format and Install.

Everything back to square one.

P

Collapse -
I had to send mine back, too!

After a week of working well, my new iMac 20 died while "sleeping" one night and could not be resurrected. Very bizarre. I'm rather glad to know I'm not the one one.

While at the Apple store seeking assistance, I spotted "Switching to the Mac" from "The Missing Manual" series. As a long time PC user, I've found this book very helpful.

Collapse -
Bought myself a present...

shortly before the holiday. A MBP Core 2 Duo 2.16 ghz, and it is a beauty. I was specifically waiting for the C2D models, else I would have bought one before. This is my first mac, but I have had previous experience was with school computers, dreaded macs, from just before Steve took the job back in the late nineties. OS X is beautiful, but I can see why many Windows users think poorly of macs after my experience with those machines.

I bought a mac (even though they're pricey) because the OS is basically linux, but with enterprise software support. I am frustrated at how many companies don't support linux, yet they tailor to every whim of the mac users. Case in point, I would have been happy staying with Ubuntu, but I honestly can't run any programs. If I want to create something in Adobe Flash, nope, can't do that. I could write Actionscript, but the things that I do require Flash Player 9.0, so couldn't have really tested anything even though I could compile. OS X is Open BSD with breast implants, a nosejob, lipstick, and lingerie on a waterbed. Not to mention that I am infinitely more protected and more of a power user than I ever was on my Windows XP desktop.

Everything is simple, intuitive, and, well, fun. The only unfortunate part about it was I blew my money on my 2k laptop and didn't buy anybody anything.

It helps to know a bit of *nix so you don't troll around saying "WHERS THE REGISTRY LOL??" However, even knowledge of linux won't prepare you for installing programs in OS X. Nobody expects computers to be easy, yet you simply *drag* and *drop*. Keyboard shortcuts are a bit tougher, but now apple+c and apple+v seem more natural, so when i switch to Windows (yes, I have bootcamp) or sit on a school box, It's more of a reach to hit control+c, et cetera.

Even though I don't get the privilege of building my own computer anymore, I am quite content, seeing how laptops are kind of hard to put together out of parts you bought at Fry's or pricewatch.

I love the thing, because it's a laptop, because its fast, because it has a draft-n wireless card, because it has a backlit keyboard, because it's not bloated, and because it garners the attention of chicks at starbucks ;D

Collapse -
Thank you.

In reply to: Bought myself a present...

You are hilarious.

Glad to hear you like the environment.

Collapse -
New Mac for Christmas

Yes, a new 20" iMac Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.16ghz.

No it is not my first. I have 2 older G3 iMacs, and a G3 ibook.

My only complaint, is with the Super Drive. Sometimes it is very noisy when running. On a couple of occassions it would not eject a disc, and yesterday, it would not recognize a movie DVD which had previously played with no problem. So far I haven't had any problem burning CD's or DVD's, and restarting the computer solved the problem with the movie DVD.

I've never had any drive issues on any of my other Macs, but this is my first Super Drive, and it is also the first one I've had which has been vertically mounted.

I don't know how common these problems are, but they are very annoying.

Collapse -
Nope, saved my money for something better.

Vista.

Collapse -
Good for you...

In reply to: Nope, saved my money for something better.

and as for being 4 years late, you had a long time to save your money. Congratulations windows fanboy!

Collapse -
Leopard is a full upgrade for one low price

In reply to: Nope, saved my money for something better.

Consequently, I don't have to save my money just to afford better performance! Laugh

Too bad M$ wants to charge their loyal users big prices if they want full performance from their upgrade. Sad

How much does the full upgrade cost? Sad

Around $400.00 isn't it? Cry

OH SNAP ! Shocked

grim Cool

Collapse -
but Windows fanboy

In reply to: Leopard is a full upgrade for one low price

had several years to save his money since the Vista release was delayed for so long. He's just envious that he is just now able to get an operating system that looks like we've had for years... and is somehow trying to justify his long wait. That said, the under-the-hood stuff is what counts - but he has not yet figured that out. Once he does, he'll be envious of that, too.

Collapse -
Just because...

In reply to: but Windows fanboy

someone says they aren't going to get a Mac because they are going to get Vista does not mean that they are a "fanboy". Opinions can be stated here. I'm actually going to upgrade to Vista also because I don't feel like learning a whole new OS. It might be "better" in some ways, but not all. I love my programs I have for Windows and knowing that almost every application I find on the internet or in stores will be for Windows only, I plan to stick to it. I don't see my necessary programs availble for Mac OS and I don't plan to use Parallels or BootCamp to run Windows because of the problems I have heard with trying to manipulate files and other types of inter-OS information transfer problems.

The only reason Windows USERS (not fanboys) call Mac USERS fanboys is because it seems like everything Apple makes or implements into its products must be better than anything Microsoft creates. So it's a sort of situation where Apple users think they have better equipment than Windows users, which is not true. Just a matter of personal opinion.

Collapse -
Too bad! Your point was made, but then you go and...

In reply to: Just because...

... shoot yourself in the foot!

You actually rationalize that it is OK for M$ users to call mac users Fanboys but not vice-versa...

I would simply point one hard fact out to you here whizkid454... mac users don't go trolling on the M$ forums here at CNet constantly telling M$ users that they are snobs! I mean lets face it... that is your message. If we were in a school yard you would be taunting in a sing-song voice saying "you mac users think your soooo good dontcha?" It is funny how insecure M$ users turn out to be that they constantly have to reassure themselves that they have made the right decision.

Looking at your forum posts, I see you have been around this mac forum long enough to see longtime mac users admit fairly often that M$ has its uses and that many of us own and operate both. You had it right that it is a preference based on opinion... but then you tried to say that moving files from one to another is too hard and that you can't find software and you love your programs anyway and on and on... sounds like it's just too much work for you. Funny how it's not too much work to constantly scan for virus and ad-ware and spyware and... All I can say is I am glad your happy with your choice but why do you feel the need to explain it all to us? Why do you feel the need to tell mac users why they may be wrong? Bottom line? We don't care.

This thread was started to celebrate anyone getting a new mac. It is really sad that M$ users feel the need to troll just because they don't use the same computers.

grim

Collapse -
Wow...

In reply to: Too bad! Your point was made, but then you go and...

It's sad how you actually took my post the wrong way... I'm sorry you saw it that way. I'm not reassuring my product in any way except to say that I can't do what I want to do if I got a Mac. That's fact. Macs can do some things that Windows does but Windows can't do what Macs do.
As a matter of fact, if you look at the reader response sections about either an Apple or Microsoft product, there are always comments about how much "M$" sucks and how CNET always puts down Apple products. When CNET says something bad about an Apple product, the Mac users always jump on Microsoft about how bad their products are because they assume CNET is out to destroy Apple. I'm not saying they are. If you want proof, look at the CNET article about the iPhone and Zune. I'm sure you will understand.
I really don't care to argue with you anymore since my post wasn't posted to start an argument. You could have not responded to my post but you did which is why this argument started.

Bottom line: I am not trying to put down either Apple or Microsoft. Argument finished.

Collapse -
You really missed the whole point here.

In reply to: Wow...

You objected to using the term "Fanboy" when talking about windows users but you said it was OK for windows users to call apple users "Fanboy". Me? I don't care either way... but I really dislike being insulted and then being told I wasn't insulted.

To quote you... The only reason Windows USERS (not fanboys)... in other words don't call us fanboys... call Mac USERS fanboys is because it seems like everything Apple makes or implements into its products must be better than anything Microsoft creates. So it's a sort of situation where Apple users think they have better equipment than Windows users, which is not true.

Why is it OK to call us apple users fanboys? You obviously don't hesitate to use the term and use it insultingly... What's new Apple fanboys??? You all must be nervous or something that CNET posting these articles will hinder people from buying the phone... I hope you realize that you fanboys have a pre-determined notion that all Apple products are good. They won't sway you people away even if they say 100 negative things... If someone says something negative about an Apple product, it's actually a negative. It doesn't do any good to try and hide it from the public. What's wrong with the truth? Fanboys: Nuttin. So why you complaining? Fanboys: Just feel like putting my words in to try to balance out an article's "true" negative comments.

Your words speak for themselves. If you don't want to be called Fanboy whizkid, then you shouldn't use the term so freely yourself.

grim

Collapse -
Corrected link

In reply to: You really missed the whole point here.

Collapse -
Please...

In reply to: Corrected link

Let me clarify my original statement:

"The only reason Windows USERS (not fanboys) call Mac USERS fanboys is..."

The main thing I want to clarify is that this is not my personal opinion that YOU are a "fanboy". I am not saying that I, personally, call every Mac USER a fanboy and I certainly don't consider you one so I don't understand how I called you a fanboy. My use of the parentheses with the included "not fanboys" meant I was substituting the "fanboys" after Windows with USERS because there are some people around this website that refer to people using Windows, fanboys, for no good reason (I am not saying you are and I'm not saying you are a fanboy). If you took it that way, I'm sorry. But that is not what I meant and I do apologize if this made you upset over such a silly thing as this.

Collapse -
you got me LMAO...

In reply to: Please...

I could care less if you call me fanboy (I mean, you don't know me personally, so why would I care)... I'm just extremely amused by the contortions your going through to somehow justify the fact that you came to complain about an apple user using a term that you didn't like applied to windows users, but you seem to feel it is entirely appropriate to use it to describe apple fans.

You own the way you use the word brother, not me.

Look, you want to express an opinion about apple products... be my guest. Just stick to actual facts. Heck, just start your own threads rather than raining on other people's parades when they are talking about new toys! However, I would suggest that you don't get all indignant about someone calling someone else a "fanboy" when you were using the same word to belittle other folks just 4 days ago.

grim

Collapse -
New Mac

I got my new Mac just before Christmas as my old windows laptop is slowly dying. I have never used a Mac before and to be honest the transition is really hard. Im sure once I get the hang of it I will love it but I do find myself using my old laptop often because I have not transferred all my data to the new macbook.

I am, however, a loyal cnet reader and have been reading in all the Mac forums. Any suggestions on software that is a must have? I know that I really need to just take the leap and turn off the windows.

Collapse -
What would you like to be able to do

In reply to: New Mac

with your new Mac?

If you were to give us some idea, we could start to point you in the right direction.

Right out of the box, you should be able to do almost everything you need to.

P

Collapse -
Nothing Fancy

In reply to: What would you like to be able to do

I have been using itunes for the music even on windows. I recently learned alot about iPhoto, in the past I was using Picasa but I think the switch to iphoto should be pretty easy. I usually do online printing of photos through Shutterfly, I believe there is a compatible iphoto store?? Is it as good as Shutterfly, cuz I looked long and hard before I found a place that provides good quality prints at a resonable price. (I have 3 kids and print lots of photos and photobooks).

The one thing that has me stumped is the replacement for Microsoft Word. I want to be able to create documents on my Macbook that can be emailed and opened on my work Windows computer, as well as send things from work to my Macbook for review. Do I have to buy Microsoft Office for Mac? Is that sliding back into using a semi windows like program on a Mac? What is the preferred program for letters, documents, etc. that will work with the rest of the non-Mac world??

Thanks for help with the transition!!

Collapse -
MS Word compatability

In reply to: Nothing Fancy

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.