Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Dialup Password Problem & File listings in Win Explorer.

by Here4hlp / November 18, 2005 10:02 PM PST

I have just joined the bandwagon of Win XP users and am being confronted with the following two problems.

1. I like having my list of folders/files in the Windows Explorer being shown in ''Details''. But there is no way I have been able to get this settings to stay in Win XP. When I click on ''Details'' in the drop-down menu, I get it just as how I want it but when I leave that path and return to it later, I would only see icons.

How can I resove this?

2. The other is, I have setup my internet connection with "save password" option. The problem is, when next I try to dialup to connect to the internet, my password would have changed to 16 characters.

Why so and how could it be resolved?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dialup Password Problem & File listings in Win Explorer.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dialup Password Problem & File listings in Win Explorer.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
"my password would have changed to 16 characters."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 19, 2005 12:31 AM PST

This is by design. The password is unchanged but to not show how many characters there are and give someone looking over your shoulder the extra clue it's 5 characters the box shows 16.

Not a bug.

Bob

Collapse -
File listing problem
by gargoyle_xlvii / November 19, 2005 9:32 AM PST

Try the following:
Window Explorer
Change C:drive to details
Then
Tool
Folder opitions
View
(these items are opitional)
Unhide file extension
unhide c:drive
Show all extension
Now hit the button "Apply to all folder"

That is it. You will need to restart the system for the changes to take place.

Like you I like to see the detail not icons.

One other item I added was how the explorer opened. I did not like the Windows explorer opening to "My documents" so I ask and found how to open it differntly

I placed the following code in to the properties of my Window Explorer.

%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /n, /e, "::{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}"

Try it you might like it.

Collapse -
To open Windows Explorer with the C drive highlighted.....
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 19, 2005 6:42 PM PST
In reply to: File listing problem

there is a shorter version;

%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /n,/e,C:\

Note the space between the exe and the /n
Note, no other spaces.
Note the Capital letters where needed.

If you do not have a Windows Explorer on your desktop, goto Start > All Programs > Accessories, right click Windows Explorer, and select ''Send to'' > ''(Create Shortcut)''.

Then right click the shortcut on the desktop, and in the Shortcut tab under Target, paste in the path above.

Mark

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thanks to all of your
by Here4hlp / November 20, 2005 12:12 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.