Computer Help forum

General discussion

Dialup Connection Problem: phone/modem

by GaGal825 / September 15, 2006 1:15 AM PDT

About a week we had a lot of lightning in our area (Atlanta) and it zapped our phone lines. The phone company came out because both phones were "dead" and fixed(?) the problem. They worked on the phone line outside as well as inside the house. Now, both phones (the same ones) work upstairs and downstairs. I have 2 computers with Windows XP and I plug each one into the phone jack upstairs and downstairs.

The downstairs computer (about 4 yrs. old) has no problems. The upstairs computer (Dell-1 year old) will not connect and I get this message: "you have plugged a digital phone line into your modem". (V90/K56) we were unable to connect your TCP/IP. Connection may not be properly working.

I tried plugging the upstairs computer into the downstairs jack and got the same message but when I plug the older computer in the same jack, there is no problem. I guess that means there is something wrong with the modem on the Dell-1 year old computer but I don't have a clue as to what I should do. Can anyone please, please help me???

Thank You,

Sandy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dialup Connection Problem: phone/modem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dialup Connection Problem: phone/modem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just sharing that ...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 15, 2006 1:19 AM PDT

It has been reported that a failed modem did report that message. Did you install a new modem?

Bob

Collapse -
Dialup/modem connection problem
by GaGal825 / September 15, 2006 1:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Just sharing that ...

Goodness, No! I don't even know what a modem looks like--LOL. I really don't know much at all about computers.

Collapse -
Sandy
by phil66 / September 15, 2006 5:02 AM PDT

Use your Dell manual it has an excellent illustration and instruction on internal modems.

A friend of mine had the same thing happen to her.
She is very new to computers and with the manual replaced the modem by herself.

Ray

Collapse -
Modem Connection Problem
by GaGal825 / September 15, 2006 6:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Sandy

Ray,

Thank you for the advice. Good grief, you just don't even know how I hate the thought of replacing a modem. Do you have any idea how much I should pay for a modem if I can replace it all by myself?

I sure was hoping that I could just do a "restore" function or something simple. Well, at least my old computer is still working fine so I am very thankful for that.

I have a feeling that I'm in for a very stressful weekend; wish me luck!

Thank You,

Sandy

Collapse -
The price will depend on what
by phil66 / September 15, 2006 12:25 PM PDT

Modem you currently have installed.

You can find this info in your system info system.

Again depending on vendors in your area they could be anywhere's between $17.00 and $40.00.

Changing the modem is a very simple job the hardest part is over with once you locate the proper one.

HTH
Ray

Collapse -
Modem Installation
by kwkid / September 15, 2006 1:37 PM PDT

Sandy,

I also live in the Atlanta area, so if you have problems, please feel free to give me a call and I can walk you through the install. Let me know and I'll try and find a way to make that happen. It really isn't that difficult, but if you need a bit of help, I'll be more than happy to oblige, well as long as it isn't during the UGA game - just kidding, the game isn't televised tomorrow, though I wish it were.

Collapse -
Modem Installation
by GaGal825 / September 16, 2006 1:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Modem Installation

Hi,

You are so kind to respond to my problem. Just knowing you are in the Atlanta area just makes me feel so much better-LOL. I live in Lawrenceville.

Anyway, on my Dell computer, I brought up the owner's manual and followed all the trouble-shooting things regarding modems. Boy, that took me a long time last night. Anyway, when I was near the end of the things to do, I got to something about ''Diagnostics'' ''Query Modem'' and under that were two headings with rather long listings:
Command Response

ATQOVIEO Success
Intetl (R)537EP V9xDF PCI Modem
then a long list of stuff that looked fine I guess, but then I saw this:

AT#CLS=?Command Not Supported

That line was the only one that looked suspicious. So does that mean I need a new modem?

Thank you so very much for any help.

Sandy

Collapse -
Modem Problem
by kwkid / September 16, 2006 3:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Modem Installation

Hi Sandy,

What a very, very strange coincidence, I also live in Lawrenceville, though right on the line next to Buford. I live on the otherside of I-85 from the Mall of Georgia. Small world.

Anyway, on to your modem problem. If you open control panel and double click on Phone and Modem, it will open a new window. If you double click the modem listed it should open the properties for the modem. On that page should be a diagnostic button. Can you please click that and post back what it reports. This is the quickest way I know to see what is really happening. Additionally, there may be some diagnostic program that Dell supplied on CD that may also test the modem, but that is just a guess. I just recall some Dells I have worked on having this.

Good Luck with your troubleshooting. I'm leaving to go to a friend's house to watch UGA vs. UAB on pay-per-view, but I will check back shortly after the game is over to see where we are at. Go DAWGS!!!!

Collapse -
Modem Problem
by GaGal825 / September 16, 2006 6:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Modem Problem

Hi,

Long Live Lawrenceville--Go DAWGS!!! Sure hope they win!

I thank you very much for taking the time on your weekend for helping me. So, this is the deal:

The following modems are installed:
Intel (R) 537EP V9xDF PCI Modem
COM 3

Modem Properties:
Location-PCI Slot 2 (PCI bus 1, device 1, function 0
This devise is working properly

Diagnostics:
Modem information

Field Value
Hardward ID PCI\VEN 8086&DEV_1080&SUBSYS_1001

So, that is what it said. Of course, I don't understand any of that except the part that said ''this devise is working properly''.

I will be waiting for your reply and keeping my fingers crossed for those DAWGS!!!

Sandy

Collapse -
Replace the modem
by glb613 / September 16, 2006 6:57 AM PDT

It's a cheap and easy fix.

Collapse -
Modem Problem
by kwkid / September 16, 2006 2:41 PM PDT

Sandy,

First let me apologize for just now getting back to you. I didn't realize Auburn was playing right behind Georgia and we also watch all the Auburn games because my daughter graduated with David and Kenny Irons. It was Kenny's birthday yesterday and we waited for him to get home for a small party at his parents house. So, here it is midnight thirty and I'm just getting home.

Anyway, it sounds to me as if the modem input (the part that detects the dialtone) has been damaged, as all the other parts appear to be fine. Regardless, I think the easiest and cheapest thing to do would be to replace the modem. They are much cheaper to replace versus repairing them, and that's assuming you could find someone to repair it.

Circuit City has two for right at $20.00 plus tax. How comfortable are you with replacing it? I'll be on the computer around 11:00AM Sunday morning and I'll be home all day. So hopefully we can get you going by early afternoon. I'll try and catch you as quick as possible, but if you have other plans, don't worry about it. I have a neighbor's Compaq I'll be looking at while I watch the forum.

Collapse -
Modem Problem
by GaGal825 / September 17, 2006 3:06 AM PDT

Congratulations on those DAWGS!!! I don't know anything about football, but man, 34-0. Sounds like a few folks might need a bit more practice or something. I'm sure you had a really nice evening with a birthday party to top it all off!

Thanks for letting me know about Circuit City. I checked online and they have the modem in stock; I will be going there tomorrow to pick it up. According to the reviews I read, everyone agreed with you that it is easy to install. Hopefully, I'll feel the same way.

Actually what I would really like to have is that highspeed with my cable company and get rid of this dialup and my home phone and just use my cell phone. I wonder if a lot of people just do that if they have a cell phone anyway; what do you think about that?

I really thank you for all your help and time.

Go DAWGS,

Sandy

Collapse -
Modem Problem
by kwkid / September 17, 2006 3:47 AM PDT

Sandy,

Congratulations on making the decision to install the modem. You have already got it halfway beat. Just don't get intimidated, go slow, and if you are unsure of a step, just post back and we'll help you out.

I currently use Charter for everything as they have the best all around package for my needs.

I have dropped Bell South and installed Charter Phone.
I use Charter Cable for my entertainment choices.
I use Charter High Speed Broadband for my Internet.

There are however many choices and combinations available. This is just what I am currently using and is the lowest price when adding up all the individual costs.

One point I will make, once you switch to high speed internet, you will marvel at how much it opens up your on-line experience. It is truly amazing.

Best of Luck and I'll keep tracking this discussion.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?