Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Dial-up on XP

by exiler / February 18, 2005 5:59 AM PST

I am using an XP PC and dialup connection. I try to restore the connection when it becomes muddled, I click start, run, type cmd and press enter. At the
command prompt, type ipconfig /release and press enter. When I do this I get the following statement:
"NO OPERATION CAN BE PERFORMED ON LOCAL AREA CONNECTION WHILE IT HAS ITS MEDIA DISCONNECTED".

I dont understand, What is this Media that is disconnected? I tried it while connected to the Internet and when not connected. I get the same statement.
Can you help me as to what the statement as to Media refers to?
Thanks for your help,
Maury.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dial-up on XP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dial-up on XP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
media disconnected
by ParnaoidGuy / February 18, 2005 6:22 AM PST
In reply to: Dial-up on XP

The OS is referancing either a network adapter or a virtual adapter it has no control over.

When you say dial I am assuming a major service provider such a AOL or AT&T or Juno, Netzero ect.

Most everey dial up client software I have seen creates a nonre-entrant socket, or a fake network connection, and the ristricts only its own threads from sending chuncks'o'data though it.

I would bet good money that your computer either has a network adapter that is not plugged in, and thats the message you are getting.

Further more, don't release and renew on dialup. When you make a connection to the dial up system your ip is part of the information that identifies your session and partitions out your PPP connection. Especially on 56k. Ip release = connection loss.

Collapse -
media disconnected
by exiler / February 18, 2005 8:18 AM PST
In reply to: media disconnected

ParanoidGuy,
Thanks for your info. I will not attempt to release and renew again. The reason that I attempted was because
I was getting connected at 31.2 kbps on a 56 kbps modem.
I was getting 45 kbps and suddenly for a couple of weeks
I have been connected at 31.2.
But some forum said to do a release and renew because the connection has become muddled. No warning was given that I would lose the connection.
What do you propose on rectifying the problem?
Thanks again,
Maury

Collapse -
Try a different connect number
by Jwd1savh / February 18, 2005 9:11 AM PST

You may have already tried this, but you can use a different phone number to connect to your ISP server. I have done this before and went from 38 to 45 Kbps or more.
Hopefully you have a choose of more than one number to dial-in (connect) on in your area.
Just an idea.....

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) ip media disconnnected in ip address
by bobbyk / February 21, 2005 8:13 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?